cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Block specific IP's from attempting to establish an SSLVPN connection

irbk
Level 1
Level 1

Logged into my ASA this AM and I'm seeing a ton of "authentication rejected" warnings coming across from 3 different IP's.  Seems like someone trying to brute force SSLVPN.  I want to block these IP's from even being able to connect to my ASA (which is a 5525 if it makes any difference).  It doesn't seem like there is a straightforward way to block them because the VPN terminates on the ASA itself.  What's the best way to block this attack while still allowing legitimate SSLVPN connections?

Thanks

17 Replies 17

@irbk actually for management (control plane) ACLs, which control to-the-box traffic, there is no implicit deny at the end of a set of management rules for an interface. Instead, any connection that does not match a management access rule is then evaluated by regular access control rules.

...but you could define create a permit any if you wish.

Sorry @Rob Ingram already answer you.

Thanks 

MHM

irbk
Level 1
Level 1

@Rob Ingram or @MHM Cisco World 

I've been able to do some Lab work in EVE-NG and while it's not the live environment, I added some control-plane rules and managed to not break everything.  It worked as you explained it would.  What I wanted to do was create a "black list" that contained all the IP's that hit my ASA with obviously fake creds.  The black list would be dropped by a control-plane rule.  I'd check out where these black list IPs were and block the entire subnet of that IP.  I'd also create a "white list" of all the IP's that should be hitting the ASA, put the white list rule first, and that way I could allow an individual IP in the white list to connect even if it was part of a black listed IP subnet.  Info sec disagreed with my approach and wanted to setup a default deny instead.  Basically if the IP's weren't on the white list, then they didn't connect.  It seemed to work correctly in the Lab so I said I'd go for it.  Then I went to production and ran across a snag, what I tried was this

access-list outside_access_in_1 extended permit ip object-group ToASAWhitelist any
access-list outside_access_in_1 extended deny ip any any 
access-group outside_access_in_1 in interface outside control-plane

This seemed to work at first, but then I got reports that access to our internal websites was failing.  I disabled the "deny ip any any" and was able to access our site again.  I'm not really sure where I went wrong?  I ended up going with my OG idea

access-list outside_access_in_1 extended permit ip object-group ToASAWhitelist any
access-list outside_access_in_1 extended deny ip object-group BlackListedIPs any
access-group outside_access_in_1 in interface outside control-plane

It seems to work but it's not the "default deny" that info sec wanted.  I'm not sure where I went wrong?  Access to an internal website should be traffic through the ASA and not to the ASA so a control-plane rule shouldn't have affected it, right?  Ideas as to where I went wrong?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card