cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

can pix OS4.4 support proxy arp?

grantchen426
Level 1
Level 1

I used PAT to deal with all my inside addresses.And the PAT global IP is different from the pix outside interface IP.

I enabled ICMP to go through my pix(OS4.4).When I tried to ping PAT global IP from outside network,I failed .

I don't know why.Is it related to proxy arp?

2 Replies 2

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hi gratchen

are you able to ping pix outside from the outside network ? you will normally not be able to ping the pat ip, because it doesnt have a static arp entry on the router. try enabling proxy arp on the router's interface and see pinging. see if proxies the arp of the pat ip.

you need not enable proxy arp on the pix for this purpose. do a static and try pinging that too. you can isolate the problem after that...

Raj

I've tried to enable and disable proxy arp on my router interface which is connected to the outside interface of my pix.

I couldn't be able to ping PAT global IP seccessfully wether proxy arp is enabled or disabled on my outside router.

I cleared arp cache and sent packets from inside to outside router for several times ,

The MAC of pix outside interface is always in the arp cache of my outside router.

I can't figure it out.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card