Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA 5510 IOS update

Hi All,

We have planned to upgrade ASA5510 to ASDM 7.12.1 and 9.9.2. is it ok to upgrade to above version. Please help me to sort it out this issue

Regards,

Senthu

5 Replies 5

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi ,

You cannot upgrade 5510 to 9.9. The last version for the 5510 is 9.1.7 interim(asa917-32-k8.bin). You can only upgrade to this version. The asdm version for your firewall is 7.8.1.150

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Hi 
Thanks for the quick response. I have attached the existing version which we have at the moment. Please advice.

Regards,

Senthu

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have ASA 5510 Old one not any X Model

As for as i know you can max of 9.1.7 interim. with ASDM 7.8.X 

Couple of steps to keep in mind before upgrade :

1. Read the release notes which you upgrading .

2. Upgrade Path

3. If your old code older than 8.2 then you need to look NAT conversion.

4. Take backup config all the time.

5. upgrade always recommend to perform in maintenance window.

6. make sure you have roleback plan ready in case anything go wrong, or some features not working.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi

Thanks for the quick response

Regards,
Senthu

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The reason for what @johnd2310 correctly noted is that the ASA 5510 has been end of sales since September 2013.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/asa-5500-series-next-generation-firewalls/eol_C51-727283.html

The best you can do is to install the most recent ASA software for that old platform - currently 9.1(7) interim build 32.

Also, depending on what version you are currently running, you may need to install an intermediate release first. See the upgrade paths in the release notes here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa91/release/notes/asarn91.html#pgfId-763574

If you are currently running a release prior to 8.3, there will be significant changes in NAT and ACL entries.

By the way, it's not called "IOS" - it's "ASA software".

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card