Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO ASA 5516-X SN different on back of unit and show version

Lovleen Arora
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The back of the ASA 5516-X unit says a different serial number compared to the show version from the unit. Is that a problem, Which SN to link the license to?

I received a 5516 control license in the box.

Thanks

Lovleen

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You use neither. The control license is redeemed using the license key ID from the managing FireSIGHT. Once you've done that, you assign it to the ASA from within the FireSIGHT interface..

On the 5516-X that can be via either FireSIGHT embedded in ASDM or via an external FireSIGHT Management Center. FireSIGHT Management Center license key is derived from the product ID and MAC address of the managed system (ASDM-based) or management center host (external FireSIGHT).

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You use neither. The control license is redeemed using the license key ID from the managing FireSIGHT. Once you've done that, you assign it to the ASA from within the FireSIGHT interface..

On the 5516-X that can be via either FireSIGHT embedded in ASDM or via an external FireSIGHT Management Center. FireSIGHT Management Center license key is derived from the product ID and MAC address of the managed system (ASDM-based) or management center host (external FireSIGHT).

Hi Marvin !

i also have the same issue, but not for licensing purpose, but mainly for contract management ...

the serial i have been given by Cisco during shipment (order) is starting by "JMX..." (it is the same as the external label on the ASA)

BUT it's not the same as the show version which is starting by "JAD..."

if i look for the JAD serial in the CSCC tool (cisco.com/go/cscc) i cannot find anything as contract for this serial

but if i look for with the JMX serial : i get the correct values from cisco cscc

Moreover, i would like to know how to find the JMX serial via CLI (i have checked it is not in a show tech-support),

it also has to be onboarded in our assets CMDB with the right serial ........

Thanks

Guillaume.

This is a known bug with ASAs. Reference BugID CSCtz56314.

Asset management usually want to check the physical chassis serial number. So you have to read that from the sticker on the chassis (or get it by reloading and interrupting the boot process to retrieve it from rommon - impractical in most cases).

Thanks Marvin for pointing out this bug

I hope it will be solved in a new version, since i am running a 9.4x

as you mentioned, reboot and rommon is not possible for us, unless a maintenance window is scheduled ...

Guillaume

[edit] : "show inventory" as proposed by lovleen worked for me, it is also a good (better) solution than reload, you can see the chassis serial

Its called the parent SN (chassis) and the child (show version).

for your support contract, cisco use the chassis SN.

you may look at it using show inventory command.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card