Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA 5520 license downgrade

radu.maricutu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Because of a Cisco ASA 5520 hardware failure (with Base license) I need to reestablish the failover between the functional ASA (Cisco Base license) and another spare ASA 5520 that has VPN Plus license. The failover cannot be reestablish because of the differences between licenses - I am using ASA 7.0.6. Can you please give me a hint about how to downgrade the VPN Plus ASA to a Base license ASA?

Thanks a lot,

Radu

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You cannot downgrade an ASA license without a new activation-key from the TAC. That is only issued as part of a Return Material Authorization in the event of failure of a unit that is covered by a support contract.

With such an old software version on end-of-sales hardware such as the ASA 5520, you would probably have better luck purchasing a used ASA 5520 with the base license from an authorized reseller if you cannot upgrade to current models and software at this time. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You cannot downgrade an ASA license without a new activation-key from the TAC. That is only issued as part of a Return Material Authorization in the event of failure of a unit that is covered by a support contract.

With such an old software version on end-of-sales hardware such as the ASA 5520, you would probably have better luck purchasing a used ASA 5520 with the base license from an authorized reseller if you cannot upgrade to current models and software at this time. 

Thanks Marvin for the answer! I will search for an used ASA 5520 and I will replace the failed unit.

Best regards

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card