Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA 5520 + URL Filtering with Smoothwall Web Proxy

drbabbers
Level 3
Level 3

All,

I have a Cisco ASA 5520 currently pointing to Websense for URL Filtering. I am about to replace Websense for Smoothwall, should this be a simple exercise of just changing the IP Address within the URL Filtering? Will the ASA have a problem this is not a Websense web proxy? Does anyone have a better way of doing this?

The requirement is to send all http/https traffic to the Smoothwall appliance. (In fact I could technically send all traffic to the Smoothwall.... the source VLAN attached is purely for internet access.

Any ideas?

D

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kias
Level 1
Level 1

The ASA will connect by WCCP, I don't see any issues. Or else you can build a custom appliance with squid web cache.

Kias
Fonicom Limited
raiseaticket Malta

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Whatever method you are using to talk to WebSense (such as WCCP) you will need Smoothwall to support the same method for it to be a drop in replacement.

Hi p.dath,

How would I know the current method we are using?

D

No, because I can't see your config.  If you post it I will check for you.  Also give me the IP address of your Websense box.

Kias
Level 1
Level 1

The ASA will connect by WCCP, I don't see any issues. Or else you can build a custom appliance with squid web cache.

Kias
Fonicom Limited
raiseaticket Malta

mickyq
Level 1
Level 1

Im currently in the same situation. I was using web filtering with websence which works fine however im now trying to use wccp with smoothwall. did you get it working?

ive come across the problem where my wireless clients are on a dmz and the smoothwall is on the inside. Ive just read clients and smoothwall both need to be on the inside.

you need to check docs provided by smoothwall if it can support the same protocol as websense or cisco docs

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card