cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA ASDM and Java

ai.solutions
Level 1
Level 1

Ive been pretty patient and tolerant of ASDM and Java over the years, however its now at a point where it is impacting my work so severely that something has to change, im sure I am not in this boat alone.

I am a managed service provider, and I manage a lot of different ASAs with differing versions of ASA and ASDM. I am currently running Java version 7 (version 8 is more of a nightmare with ASDM that I've found). Some ASAs are fine, most are temperamental, and now it asks me to generate a trusted certificate on the ASA devices when I try to connect, which I have done and imported into Java.... but it still asks me to generate a certificate the next time.

Seriously... Java is a horrible piece of crap, full of security issues that is constantly having to be patched and newer versions making it terribly difficult to run not-so out of date software. Surely something other than Java could be used as the base for management!

How is everyone managing their Java environments for managing a wide spectrum of ASDM versions?

2 Replies 2

kcrane2
Level 1
Level 1

With all the same difficulty as you.   Add to it the fact that every other product that uses Java thinks is practical to demand that you X version to use it's console, its a #$%@ nightmare.  Honestly, a Java-based interface to the device is nearly a disquailfier for us now.

momeara
Level 1
Level 1

There have to be a lot of customers running back-level Java just for ASDM and we are one of them. It runs under Java 7.25, but our organization is upgrading to 8.51 so we have to keep the old Java and avoid the upgrade.Java is a pain, but so is something like ASDM Launcher that doesn't support the latest version of that software. Cisco should be more proactive.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card