cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA logging buffered spams terminal and console lines

Adam Hudson
Level 1
Level 1

I have several routers, switches and firewalls that send logs to a syslog server without interfering with the console line.

I'm testing an ASA 5506 (running IOS 9.5.2) at a remote location that doesn't have a syslog server so I'm trying to use 'logging buffered' to troubleshoot a VPN issue and when I run the following

no logging console
logging buffered debug
debug crypto isa 127

debug messages start spamming the console line and I need to reboot the ASA to make any changes on it. (terminal no monitor gives me a Monitor option not supported for the console

I thought the 'logging buffered' command was only supposed to log to the internal buffer? Then I could go in an view them later. What's going on here?

Any help is appreciated.

6 Replies 6

gaowen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You said it is in a remote location but you are talking about the console line? Are you sure you don;t just need 'terminal no monitor'

Gareth

Gaowen, see my initial post for the terminal no monitor situation. As far as my remote location, I'm RDPing into a computer at another location that's connected to the ASA via a usb console cable.

sorry, try running 'show run all | include logging' because I think I've had this before and that output will jog my memory

Also have you tried logging console emergency? Just to see if that reduces the logs to none?

Neither logging console emergencies nor logging console errors stopped the console line spam.

did you try

show run all | include logging

what was the output?

?

logging console emergencies

logging buffered debugging

logging asdm informational

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card