Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA Model 5512-x

kyawhtinwin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Support,

Regarding the traffic, One of my customers wants to upload 50GB data from DR Network to DC Network via port 22. There have to pass through 2 ASA Firewall. I want to know ASA Traffic how many mins or hour can keep establishing. What is the need to be changed for ssh traffic to keep alive? Please support.

Best Regards,

Kyaw Htin Win

5 Replies 5

If the connection actively transmitting data, it won't timeout. Other than
that here are the default timeout.

The default tcp idle timeout is 1 hour.

The default udp idle timeout is 2 minutes.

The default icmp idle timeout is 2 seconds.

The default esp and ha idle timeout is 30 seconds.

Hi Mohammed,

Can we change to more hours?

Can you guide what command need to type and what is the impact? If we change that we have to change TCP idle timeout. Right?

Best Regards,

Hi,

You may refer to the configuration guide:
>>> set connection timeout
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa90/configuration/guide/asa_90_cli_config/conns_connlimits.html

But please make sure if your customers really need the timeout setting to be set to higher. Because the TCP session timeout timer will keep resetting if there is any communicate on that TCP session. Unless your customer will open a TCP session, and leave it idle over an hour, otherwise, you don't have to set the timeout value.

Technically speaking, it is expected that more TCP session data will be kept on ASA, and causing higher memory usage. However, if you have enough memory for your ASA, I think you don't need to worry about it.

ASA RAM is 4Gb

You would also want to check memory usage at the peak hour. For an extreme case, if your ASA has used 99% memory during peak hour, then you should not increase the TCP timeout value because it increased the chance of memory used up.

I think you should focus more customer's requirement: Do they really require an idle TCP session over an hour? Have they encountered any issue during file transmission?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card