Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA5555-X PSU Hot Swap

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

just confirming if the ASA5555-X PSU is hot swappable?

i don't see it indicates OIR/hot swap in cisco doc/link

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/hw/maintenance/5500xguide/5500xhw/asa_overview.html#19826

2.If you are replacing a power supply, follow these steps:

a. Power off the chassis.    <<< COMPLETELY POWER OFF THE ASA APPLIANCE?

b. From the back panel of the chassis, unplug the power supply cable.

c. Push the lever on the power supply to the left and remove the power supply by grasping the handle and then pulling the power supply away from the chassis while supporting it from beneath with the other hand.

5555x# sh environment power

Power Supplies:
-----------------------------------

Left Slot (PS0): Present
Right Slot (PS1): Present

Power Input:
--------------------------------
Left Slot (PS0): OK
Right Slot (PS1): Failure Detected

Temperature:
Left Slot (PS0): 31 C - OK
Right Slot (PS1): N/A

Cooling Fans:
Left Slot (PS0): 8192 RPM - OK
Right Slot (PS1): N/A

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

as i remember we had 5585, i could able to replace power supply hot swappable.

the statement only valid if you have only 1 power supply.

You can add an additional power supply, or you can order the ASA 5545-X or ASA 5555-X with two power supplies installed. Having two power supplies installed provides a redundant power option. This configuration ensures that if one power supply fails, the other power supply assumes the full load until the failed power supply is replaced.

If only one power supply is installed, make sure that it is installed in slot 0 (left slot) and that slot 1 (right slot) is covered with a slot cover. If only one power supply is installed, do not remove the power supply unless the chassis has been powered off. Removing the only operational power supply causes an immediate power loss.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/hw/maintenance/5500xguide/5500xhw/asa_overview.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

as i remember we had 5585, i could able to replace power supply hot swappable.

the statement only valid if you have only 1 power supply.

You can add an additional power supply, or you can order the ASA 5545-X or ASA 5555-X with two power supplies installed. Having two power supplies installed provides a redundant power option. This configuration ensures that if one power supply fails, the other power supply assumes the full load until the failed power supply is replaced.

If only one power supply is installed, make sure that it is installed in slot 0 (left slot) and that slot 1 (right slot) is covered with a slot cover. If only one power supply is installed, do not remove the power supply unless the chassis has been powered off. Removing the only operational power supply causes an immediate power loss.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/hw/maintenance/5500xguide/5500xhw/asa_overview.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

thanks for confirming the PSU are hot swappable!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card