cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Firepower running in VMWare Workstation - FTD not intercepting traffic.

crstephenson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am currently setting up Firepower FTD in VMWare Workstation, and was hoping someone could possibly help me with an issue I am experiencing with the FTD not intercepting and blocking/allowing traffic?

A bit background:

I now have a paired FMC and FTD running on VMWare Workstation. The FTD has three virtual NICs, set up as follows:

Nic1 (Management) - Using VMNET2, which is configured in NAT mode within VMWare. FMC is configured to also use VMNET2 nic.

Nic2 (Outer) - Using the bridged option in VMware for this NIC. Has an IP address in the same range as office router.

Nic3 (Inner) - Using the bridged option in VMWare for this NIC. Has a 172.xx.xx.2 internal address. Virtual client desktop that I also built also uses the bridged NIC option with an IP address in the same network space, and is set with gateway of 172.xx.xx.2.

So, the problem that i am facing is that my virtual client PC can ping the inner interface of the FTD, but when I attempt to do a ping from the client desktop to the internet, it times out. I have created a blanket ACL on the FTD to allow all traffic outbound, from all networks, but it is still not working. What is strange, is that when i attempt the ping, nothing appears in the event/connection logs on the FMC.

I can confirm that the FTD can ping externally and has internet connectivity, so both outer and inner up and running, at least from an IP perspective at least.

To confirm, I am running VMWare Workstation 14.1.3 on Fedora 28, with firewalld disabled.

I have heard this might be something to do with promiscuous mode needing enabled? I am a total linux newbie, so really struggling and not sure how to do this, and/or whether my overall config is essesntially correct/incorrect. Can you please help or advise? 

Kind regards

Craig.

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes your dataplane network adapters for the FTDv host need to have promiscuous mode enabled.

You do that this for the associated vSwitch as shown below:

ESXi vSwitch promiscuous mode.PNG

It's not a Linux thing per se - it's an ESXi setting.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1004099?CoveoV2.CoveoLightningApex.getInitializationData=1&ui-force-components-controllers-hostConfig.HostConfig.getConfigData=1&r=2&other.KM_Utility.getArticleDetails=1&other.KM_Utility.getArticleMetadata=1&other.KM_U...

Thanks, Marvin.

However, I'm not using ESXi. I'm using VMWare Workstation.

For Vmware workstation yo need to edit a config file to enable promiscuous mode.

https://superuser.com/questions/1209497/how-do-you-enable-promiscuous-mode-in-vmware-workstation

However FTDv is NOT supported on VMWare workstation. Here's the support matrix:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/compatibility/firepower-compatibility.html#id_37873

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card