Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Identity Certificates

Mokhalil82
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

I am getting to grips with certificates. So if I have installed for example Cisco ASA, Prime, ACS etc, when I try to connect to the server via HTTPS, I usually would get a security warning that the server is not trusted. What can I do in terms of setting up a certificate so that it is trusted. 

Can I use a self generated cert for this purpose.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can trust self-signed certificates. The process can be a bit laborious. You need to start by making sure your server private key is strong (2048-bits).

Then when you generate the certificate the host name and domain name should match the DNS FQDN you will be using. Otherwise most browsers will complain that the certificate Common Name (CN) doesn't match the FQDN even if you trust the certificate.

Finally you need to download and import the certificate into your client computer's Trusted Root Certificate Store.

You can also use third party (i.e. public CA) signed certificates that you purchase. Some organizations purchase a wildcard certificate that can be used on any number of internal servers. I did the latter for a Prime Infrastructure server and documented how to in this posting.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can trust self-signed certificates. The process can be a bit laborious. You need to start by making sure your server private key is strong (2048-bits).

Then when you generate the certificate the host name and domain name should match the DNS FQDN you will be using. Otherwise most browsers will complain that the certificate Common Name (CN) doesn't match the FQDN even if you trust the certificate.

Finally you need to download and import the certificate into your client computer's Trusted Root Certificate Store.

You can also use third party (i.e. public CA) signed certificates that you purchase. Some organizations purchase a wildcard certificate that can be used on any number of internal servers. I did the latter for a Prime Infrastructure server and documented how to in this posting.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card