cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco ips 4270 cpu 100% utilization...

szamin125
Level 1
Level 1

hi folks i have cisco ips 4270 version 7.0(2) E3 when i try to access it through IDM its show the cpu utilization of cpu1=100% and cpu4=100% but cpu1 and cpu2 are varying can any one please tell me what will be the solution of this problem...

when i try to go to the configuration then its give me the attached error..........document attached please check....

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nicolas Fournier
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Having 100% on some of your CPU is normal on the IPS platform.

The device is using it's idle cycles to prepare for the handling of the incoming packets and to reduce the delay it will introduce on their path so it is expected to get this even when under low load.

If you want to have a better idea of the capacity % of your IPS you are currently using, you should have a look at the Inspection Load value. Looking at the data you provided, you are around 25% at the moment.

For the rdep timeout message, it seems to be a software issue. Looking closer at the picture you attached, we also see "Analysis Engine Status: Not Responding".

It is a bit difficult to troubleshoot those on CSC so I would advise you to open a TAC case if you want to know the exact root cause.

What I would advise is to upgrade to the latest 7(0) code which is I believe 7.0(5a)E4 since the issue is most then likely fixed in this version.

If you are looking for a quick fix, a reboot of the IPS should clear this but the problem will most then likely come back later.

Regards,

Nicolas

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Nicolas Fournier
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Having 100% on some of your CPU is normal on the IPS platform.

The device is using it's idle cycles to prepare for the handling of the incoming packets and to reduce the delay it will introduce on their path so it is expected to get this even when under low load.

If you want to have a better idea of the capacity % of your IPS you are currently using, you should have a look at the Inspection Load value. Looking at the data you provided, you are around 25% at the moment.

For the rdep timeout message, it seems to be a software issue. Looking closer at the picture you attached, we also see "Analysis Engine Status: Not Responding".

It is a bit difficult to troubleshoot those on CSC so I would advise you to open a TAC case if you want to know the exact root cause.

What I would advise is to upgrade to the latest 7(0) code which is I believe 7.0(5a)E4 since the issue is most then likely fixed in this version.

If you are looking for a quick fix, a reboot of the IPS should clear this but the problem will most then likely come back later.

Regards,

Nicolas

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card