Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSM deploy error

Hello,

I have found a previous question related to the same error I'm getting but no answer.

I have rearranged the policy based on different new sections, different logic. I didn't changed the content of the sections, so basically the policy is the same.

Now when I'm trying to deploy the new policy, I'm getting this error:

"An error response from the device prevented successful completion of this operation. The device provided the following description: no access-list … log default Specified access-list does not exist."

This seems like a bug for me, since the access-list is the one to be deployed.

This is random error, if I'm moving the section or the rule, I'm hitting the same error on different rule.

I'm wondering if somebody had the same error at some point and how was solved it.

Many thanks in advance for your feedback!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Jordi,

The only workaround I found is to manipulate in CLI the config directly on the ASA.

The steps I used:

1. change the deployment mode on CSM to a file instead of the device. This option is in Tools > Cisco Security Manager Administration > Deployment

2. copy the full config on your machine to file1

3. go on CLI to the ASA unable to deploy

4. <show run> and copy all access-lists to file2

5. on file2 search and replace <access-list> with <no access-list>

6. from file1 copy and paste all access-list to file3

7. from file1 copy and paste all access-group to file4

8. go back to CLI on the ASA and

a. paste file2

b. paste file3

c. paste file4

9. go back to CSM and change back the deployment from file to device

10. on the policy which you are trying to deploy on CSM, disable a not very important rule

11. save and deploy

For me worked.

Good luck!

Catalin

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what is the version of CSM ?

is this FWSM or ASA ? if ASA what is the Code running on that ASA ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

CSM 4.15

ASA 9.6(3)9

Hello,

I have the same issue, please could you tell me how resolve this issue?

Many thanks for all

Jordi

Hi Jordi,

The only workaround I found is to manipulate in CLI the config directly on the ASA.

The steps I used:

1. change the deployment mode on CSM to a file instead of the device. This option is in Tools > Cisco Security Manager Administration > Deployment

2. copy the full config on your machine to file1

3. go on CLI to the ASA unable to deploy

4. <show run> and copy all access-lists to file2

5. on file2 search and replace <access-list> with <no access-list>

6. from file1 copy and paste all access-list to file3

7. from file1 copy and paste all access-group to file4

8. go back to CLI on the ASA and

a. paste file2

b. paste file3

c. paste file4

9. go back to CSM and change back the deployment from file to device

10. on the policy which you are trying to deploy on CSM, disable a not very important rule

11. save and deploy

For me worked.

Good luck!

Catalin

I see a lot of people have read the "recipe" but no comments. Maybe some explanation is need it. CSM cannot deploy because sees too many differences, lets say. So the idea is to limit that, replacing manually old ACLs with new ACLs generated by CSM. Like I said previously, for me it's working perfectly.

Maybe Cisco fixed this bug in newer CSM versions but I did't get the chance to test that.

Hello Team,

I have opened on case to Cisco TAC

This deployment is failing because of defect CSCuy23983.  This is caused because the first line of the delta config change is "no access list".  This fails because the ASA does not have log default appended to the ACE and the CSM is trying to negate it.  This defect is impacts 4.15 and 4.16

4.17(0.65) and 4.17(0) SP1 are both fixed versions.

workaround of this

no access-list CSM_FW_ACL_outside_3 extended permit tcp any object XXXXXX eq www log default

Which is using “log default” at the end of this rule, I have checked internally about this issue and in order to immediately fix this so that you can deploy the change, you will need to make a change to the ACL Parameters in CSM & then re-deploy the job. See steps below:

1. Go to Tools > Security Manager Administration > Deployment. This should open the 'Deployment' window to the right.
  2. Look for the 'ACL Parameters' section.
  3. Change the "Optimize the Deployment of Access Rules For:" option from 'Speed' to 'Traffic' and save the change.
  4. Close that window, then re-deploy your job.

+Note about the differences between the 2 options:

Speed (default)-Increases deployment speed by sending only the delta (difference) between the new and old ACLs. This is the recommended option. By making use of ACL line numbers, this approach selectively adds, updates, or deletes ACEs at specific positions and avoids resending the entire ACL. Because the ACL being edited is still in use, there is a small chance that some traffic might be handled incorrectly between the time an ACE is removed and the time that it is added to a new position. The ACL line number feature is supported by most Cisco IOS, PIX and ASA versions, and became available in FWSM from FWSM 3.1(1).

Traffic-This approach switches ACLs seamlessly and avoids traffic interruption. However, deployment takes longer and uses more device memory before the temporary ACLs are deleted. First, a temporary copy is made of the ACL that is intended for deployment. This temporary ACL binds to the target interface. Then the old ACL is recreated with its original name but with the content of the new ACL. It also binds to the target interface. At this point, the temporary ACL is deleted.

Many thanks

Jordi

Hi Jordi,

Good to know about ACLs deployment option from 'speed' to 'traffic'.

Thanks for sharing!

Best regards,

Catalin

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card