cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Default FWSM inspection policy

bourse
Level 1
Level 1

On FWSM (running version 4.1 in my case) the default global policy uses the following class map:

class-map inspection_default
match default-inspection-traffic

Does anyone know what "default-inspection-traffic" includes? Is it all traffic? If so, do I really want all my traffic to go through the inspection engine? I would imagine this would have a performance impact on traffic that is not part of the protocols being inspected.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

David W.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Please mark this as answered if it is, for the benefit of others.

Regards,

PK

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Panos Kampanakis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The "default_inspection_traffic" is all traffic that is predefined for various protocols. For example for tcp port 21, if you have "inspect ftp" under the class-map ftp inspection will kick in. Though, port 22 will not be inspected for ftp. Do not worry about performance as far as default behavior is concerned, people rarely see issues. But it would be a good idea to only inspect protocols you need to inspect under the default_inspection_traffic.

I hope it helps.

PK

The CLI help in the FWSM actually displays what's included in the "default-inspection-traffic" match definition:

FWSM/context1(config)# class-map inspection_default

FWSM/context1(config-cmap)# match ?

mpf-class-map mode commands/options:

access-list                 Match an Access List

any                         Match any packet

default-inspection-traffic  Match default inspection traffic:

ctiqbe----tcp--2748      dns-------udp--53      

ftp-------tcp--21        gtp-------udp--2123,3386

h323-h225-tcp--1720      h323-ras--udp--1718-1719

http------tcp--80        icmp------icmp         

ils-------tcp--389       mgcp------udp--2427,2727

netbios---udp--137-138   rpc-------udp--111     

rsh-------tcp--514       rtsp------tcp--554     

sip-------tcp--5060      sip-------udp--5060    

skinny----tcp--2000      smtp------tcp--25      

sqlnet----tcp--1521      tftp------udp--69      

xdmcp-----udp--177     

port                        Match TCP/UDP port(s)

On the ASA you can use the command " clear config fixup" in order to get the default inspection policies. I assume it will work the same in the FWSM.

You would need to go under the policy-map to remove the inspections you don't need.

PK

I'm less concerned about removing fixups I don't need than having unnecesary traffic going through the inspection engine. In the document here https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-12668 it indicates that "As a general rule, avoid enabling application inspection on any traffic unnecessarily as it will significantly impact the throughput of these flows".

So this leads me to my original question as to how to make sure we don't forward unnecessary traffic to the inspection engine. If "default-inspection-traffic" maps to specific ports (ex: 80, 21, etc...) then I'm good. But if it maps to "any" then I'm not.

What would be the impact on removing all the fixups? Would it break anything?

For example, TCP port 80 will only meet "inspect http".

I think that answers the question.

PK

Thank you.

Please mark this as answered if it is, for the benefit of others.

Regards,

PK

How does traffic inspection works ?

Traffic with Inspection On is sent to the Control Point for Deep Paket Inspection and tarffic not being inspected takes Fastpath.

If I remove SQLNET from default inspection , Do I need correct ACL to permit SQLNET for Fastpath? or it's not required

Please advise

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card