Views
Helpful
Replies

Does Cisco ASA 5506-X support Hot Standby Ether-Channel link

laurathaqi
Level 3
Level 3

Dear community, 

I have been checking the ASA 5506-X documentation and Ether-channel features but I could not find such information. So I came here to ask if somebody knows: Does Cisco ASA 5506-X support Hot Standby Ether-Channel link? 

Looking forward to hear from you. 

Thank you,

Laura 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Laurathaqi.

I see. yes I understand your question. for this scenario your best option is to use the  redundant interface instead of ether channel. This Redundant Interface act an active and a standby interface on the firewall. In case if the active interface fails, the standby interface of the firewall becomes active and starts passing traffic.

You can configure a redundant interface to increase the ASA reliability. This feature is separate from device-level fail-over, but you can configure redundant interfaces as well as a device-level fail-over if desired. ASA can configure up to 8 redundant interface pairs on the firewall.

please do not forget to rate.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

If i understand you correctly, you asking if the 5506-X does support Active Standby failover with port-channel. if that what you asking the answer is Yes it does support this.

laurathaqi
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Sheraz, 

I wanted to create to ether channels, and if one ether channel fails, the other one to become active. This in ether channel level, not in port level. 

It turned out that for that, ASA has failover ports only. 

Thank you,

Laura

Hi Laurathaqi.

I see. yes I understand your question. for this scenario your best option is to use the  redundant interface instead of ether channel. This Redundant Interface act an active and a standby interface on the firewall. In case if the active interface fails, the standby interface of the firewall becomes active and starts passing traffic.

You can configure a redundant interface to increase the ASA reliability. This feature is separate from device-level fail-over, but you can configure redundant interfaces as well as a device-level fail-over if desired. ASA can configure up to 8 redundant interface pairs on the firewall.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card