cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Updating ASA 5255

Danny0977
Level 1
Level 1

I recently started a new job and inherited a Cisco firewall that seems to have been neglected a bit. I don't have experience with Cisco firewalls and am trying to figure out my upgrade path. It's a Cisco ASA 5255 with ASA version 9.12(4)7 and ASDM version 7.13(1). I want to update to 9.12(4)37. From the Cisco compatibility guide I should be able to update the ASA version without having to update the ASDM version, correct?

I also have Firepower with FMC. It's on version 6.4.0. I don't want to update this at the same time and will wait a day or two to update this next. From my understanding this is also compatible.

Am I missing anything?

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Danny0977
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, that is what I thought. Am I also reading that it's compatible with Firepower with FMC version 6.4.0 correctly as well? I appreciate your help.

@Danny0977 you can upgrade without upgrade the ASDM, but I'd advise against it. Running an older version of ASDM you may encounter issues managing the ASA software running a newer version.

Does that mean you are running Firepower module on the ASA?

ASA  managed by ASDM

FTD Managed by FMC

so both need to look differently and upgrade path and compatibility

upgrade FMC first before upgrading to FTD

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Danny0977
Level 1
Level 1

Okay, I'll plan to update both. Looks like we're running Cisco Firepower Management Center for VMWare.

@Danny0977 I was referring to whether your ASA was running Firepower Services module? The FMC would manage that component not the ASA software. If that ASA is not running the firepower services module then the FMC is not applicable here.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card