cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

E0 interface on PIX 515E -- secondary IP network supported?

primavat
Level 1
Level 1

I need to know the capabilities of the E0 interface on the PIX 515E. Is it possible to NAT into two separate private IP address spaces for the internal network, and can I also enable RIP, for instance, and route between two IP networks on the internal interface?

3 Replies 3

nkhawaja
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Secondary IP assisgnment on the interface is not possible. RIP and OSPF are supported on PIX.

I am not sure what you mean by NATing two separate private IP addresses. If I understood it right, this is possible.

Thanks

Nadeem

Thanks for your quick response. I have two companies who use private IP address spaces moving into the same office space. I wanted to route between two internal private IP networks from the internal interface on the PIX.

The thinking behind this strategy is that it would provide greater flexibility in cutting over the IP address space of the newly acquired company.

There is also a 2620 router available that could potentially be configured to do the internal routing for the duration of the IP readdressing project.

Hi,

This all is possible, proper routing and NAT would do the job. What I understood now is that you want to have two additional networks , you can either have them on a separate interface of the pix.

1 for each company

1 for internal network

or you can have them all on the inside, but routing needs to be done and you need to use your router

Thanks

Nadeem

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card