cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enable Inbound soft reconfiguration on ASA

Nvelu
Level 1
Level 1

I am getting the following error message when tried to see the received routes from BGP neighbour. 

I have Cisco ASA 5555  running on 9.3(3). 

ciscoasa# sh bgp neighbors <peer IP address> received-routes

% Inbound soft reconfiguration not enabled on <peer ip address>

Please guide me to enable inbound soft to bgp neighbor on ASA

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi, 

Sorry, I have shared the command for a router. But ASA is not implemented yet till to 9.6. I didn't find in it.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa96/configuration/general/asa-96-general-config/route-bgp.html

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I think you need to configure an extra command as: neighbor {ip-address | peer-group-name} soft-reconfiguratio[inbound]

But make sure, you must read its advantage and disadvantage.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Hi Deepak Kumar,

Thanks for the response. I tried to enable soft configuration to the peer but i do not see any option/configuration to enable.

Sorry that i copy paste the options available in the cli but i just want to show what are available

ciscoasa(config-router-af)# neighbor 172.31.184.1 ?

bgp address-family mode commands/options:

activate                                     Enable the Address Family for this Neighbor
advertise-map                          specify route-map for conditional advertisement
advertisement-interval               Minimum interval between sending BGP routing updates
default-originate                       Originate default route to this neighbor
description                                Neighbor specific description
disable-connected-check         one-hop away EBGP peer using loopback address
distribute-list                             Filter updates to/from this neighbor
ebgp-multihop                          Allow EBGP neighbors not on directly connected
networks
filter-list                                    Establish BGP filters
ha-mode                                  high availability mode
local-as                                   Specify a local-as number
maximum-prefix                      Maximum number of prefixes accepted from this peer
next-hop-self                          Disable the next hop calculation for this neighbor
password                               Set a password
prefix-list                               Filter updates to/from this neighbor
remote-as                             Specify a BGP neighbor
remove-private-as                  Remove private AS number from outbound updates
route-map                             Apply route map to neighbor
send-community                    Send Community attribute to this neighbor
shutdown                                 Administratively shut down this neighbor
timers                                      BGP per neighbor timers
transport                                 Transport options
ttl-security                               BGP ttl security check
version                                     Set the BGP version to match a neighbor
weight                                     Set default weight for routes from this neighbor

Hi, 

Sorry, I have shared the command for a router. But ASA is not implemented yet till to 9.6. I didn't find in it.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa96/configuration/general/asa-96-general-config/route-bgp.html

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Although documentation states that this command was introduced in version 9.2(1), it would seem that this specific command has not yet been implemented.  Unfortunately I do not have an ASA running higher version in my lab for testing.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

Jesse Peden
Level 1
Level 1

As of ASA OS version 9.14(1), BGP soft-reconfiguration is still not present, for anyone wondering if it was eventually added.  I can only guess that this was intentional as a security measure, so administrators would notice a BGP session being cleared to accept new routes rather than it being semi-transparent and potentially causing a security concern by accepting traffic from an unintended network (such as in the case of not using a route-map or prefix-list to filter out unwanted networks).

Ñnate
Level 1
Level 1

I am using ASA 9.14 on a 2K device and you can use "show bgp neighbors x.x.x.x  routes" to see your received routes. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card