cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FirePower 1010 - Getting Started

dataIP
Level 1
Level 1

I have several ASA5505 deployed with no issues going back over the years, but due to not having Gigabit ports, it was time to upgrade.

I have my first FPR1010 here and have basic connectivity - However, I find that the built in FDM doesn't support PPPoE (Which I find pretty surprising). It is fundamental to my deployment, and I don't want to use an additional router to do the PPPoE.

I am lead to believe that FMC will allow PPPoE configuration, as would re-imaging to ASA software.

Since ASA is probably on it way out, and FDM/FMC is its replacement - that is the way I should go.

I am trying to understand what I actually need, and if it is included, or separately licenced, or need to be purchased.

There appears to be FMC which runs on a VM (which requires 28GB RAM), but all I need it the equivalent of ASDM which runs on a client machine.

What is the easiest way to get my new FPR1010 configured to use PPPoE on its outside interface?

1 Accepted Solution
4 Replies 4

Thanks for the quick reply Rob,

This sounds like it may be the best solution for us. FDM should be all we need for a basic deployment. I don't really want to go to the complexity of running FDC if I don't have to. It really seemed to be a big hole in the FDM software if you couldn't easly setup PPPoE.

My issue now, is how to obtain the upgrade. We only bought the device last week from disty - it has come with 6.4.0-102  I always though that on registering the device, you could access the current images - it seems this is not the case.

Do you know what the minimum contract requirement is to get access to the latest build of the FDM software?

Smartnet support contract would include updates and TAC. The partner you purchased this from can provide you with the correct information and the cost. I doubt it will cost much on a fpr1010.

HTH
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card