Views
Helpful
Replies

Firepower 2130 Banner Configuration

Tony T.
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Firepower 2130 in platform mode. I can only access it via CLI and the software on the box is as follows:

Device Manger: 7.15

SSP OS 2.8

ASA 9.14(2) 13

When I try to add a bannner (login, motd, etc) with a lot of words I can only add a certain amount of characters (Cisco documentation says 235 characters and 31 words). So if I have a banner of 200 words, I have to break apart the banner and add it into the Firepower each time in global configuration mode. Example:

firepower (config)# banner motd words words words words words words words words words words etc (31)

firepower (config)# banner motd words words words words words words words words words words etc (31)

firepower (config)#banner motd words words words words words words words words words words etc (31)

When I save the motd banner and then look at it, the banner broken apart instead of one flowing paragraph. Example:

firepower# show running-configuration banner motd

words words words words words words words words words words

This is a trivial problem, I know, but it bothers me nonetheless. Does anyone know how to fix this? Again, I only have access to the CLI not ASDM. And, I'm trying to make sure the banner is one paragraph and not separate sentences. Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tony T.
Level 1
Level 1

@MHM Cisco World Thank you for your advice. I gave it a try however it didn't work, at least the way I was hoping. However, I figured it out. Essentially, I just need to  do each sentence like this:

firepower (config)# banner motd words words words words words words words words words words

firepower (config)# banner motd words words words words words words words words words words 

firepower (config)#banner motd words words words words words words words words words words

Instead of trying to fit as many words as possible for each input, just do a small sentence at a time (like 5 to 10 words).

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Check the terminal width and terminal length command 

It can change the terminal character limit.

Or used banner with $ which make you divide text into line' and it appear line by line.

Tony T.
Level 1
Level 1

@MHM Cisco World Thank you for your advice. I gave it a try however it didn't work, at least the way I was hoping. However, I figured it out. Essentially, I just need to  do each sentence like this:

firepower (config)#banner motd words words words words words words words words words words

Instead of trying to fit as many words as possible for each input, just do a small sentence at a time (like 5 to 10 words).

Your are so welcome 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card