Views
Helpful
Replies

Firepower Appliance 7000/8000 and FS-VWM-2-SW-K9

Jing Hong Li
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

Can I use this SKU FS-VWM-2-SW-K9(actually a FMC promo SKU) to manage Firepower Appliance 7000/8000 now, as I know, FireSIGHT 5.4 version has the limitation to just manage ASA with Firepower service, but don't know FMC 6.0 and after is still has this limitation, Please advice. Thanks!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The SKU you mentioned is still restricted licensing-wise to managing ASA's with Firepower service modules. It's not enforced by technical means but it is part of the license terms and conditions of that product SKU.

There is a new 2-device SKU: SF-FMC-VMW-2-K9. It also comes in 10 and 25 device variants (plus a separate set of SKUs for KVM vs. VMware use).

It is Smart Licensing enabled and with it you are entitled to manage all types of Firepower devices (ASA Firepower service modules, classic Firepower appliances and FTD devices).

View solution in original post

Yes you can manage both Smart Licensing and Classic licensing with the SF-FMC-xxx SKUs. That includes classic 7000/8000 appliances.

I have an FMC doing just that in production - it manages a 3D7125 (classic license), ASA with Firepower service module (also classic license) and an ASA with FTD image (Smart license).

In all cases (virtual on VMware, virtual on KVM or physical FMC appliance) the software functions with respect to managing sensors is the same. The difference is in what type and how many sensors you are allowed to manage.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The SKU you mentioned is still restricted licensing-wise to managing ASA's with Firepower service modules. It's not enforced by technical means but it is part of the license terms and conditions of that product SKU.

There is a new 2-device SKU: SF-FMC-VMW-2-K9. It also comes in 10 and 25 device variants (plus a separate set of SKUs for KVM vs. VMware use).

It is Smart Licensing enabled and with it you are entitled to manage all types of Firepower devices (ASA Firepower service modules, classic Firepower appliances and FTD devices).

Dear Marvin,

Thanks for your reply!

But my additional question is the Firepower appliance 7000/8000 only come with Classic License, is It still managed by your mentioned Smart Licensing enabled SKU:SF-FMC-VMW-2-K9 ?

Below is Cisco Firepower System Feature License Link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/roadmap/firepower-licenseroadmap.html

And, Second question is the a single Firepower Management Center can manage both Classic and Smart Licenses at the same time ?

Yes you can manage both Smart Licensing and Classic licensing with the SF-FMC-xxx SKUs. That includes classic 7000/8000 appliances.

I have an FMC doing just that in production - it manages a 3D7125 (classic license), ASA with Firepower service module (also classic license) and an ASA with FTD image (Smart license).

In all cases (virtual on VMware, virtual on KVM or physical FMC appliance) the software functions with respect to managing sensors is the same. The difference is in what type and how many sensors you are allowed to manage.

Dear Marvin,

Thank you very much, It really helped me !

You're welcome - thanks for rating.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card