Views
Helpful
Replies

Firepower licensing

luckymike33
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I wonderr if anyone can help -  I recently installed an FMCv and associated a 5515X firewall running firepower services with it.

I though I had licensed the 5515X, as I went through the procedure, genrated the license file, based on the FMC key, and then applied the license.

The license is a TAM 3 year.

The issue is under system > licensing > classic licenses, the license shows as Malware only, I do not understand why it does not show Protection or Control as being licensed. I have attached a snip.

But under the section Device > Device Management,  all the features are unlicensed, again attached in a snip, which I do not understand.

Would anyone be able to help me to license this ASA running Firepower services, or even understand how licensing works?

Best wishes

Mike

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Pujita Patni
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mike,

The Device was show unlicensed if you do not apply the Protect and Control. After you have that License, you will be able to add on URL and Malware to it.

If you purchased TAM, you should have the Protect and Control along with Malware. I would suggest you open a Licensing TAC case for the team to give you the required Licenses.

You can read more about Licensing here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/601/configuration/guide/fpmc-config-guide-v601/Licensing_the_Firepower_System.pdf

Thanks,

Pujita Patni

View solution in original post

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As Pujita noted, plus the "Protect and Control" license is shipped as a physical claim form with the PAK long with the appliance. It is not eDelivery like the TAM license.

If you've misplaced the form, your reseller (or the TAC Global Licensing Operations team) can call up the PAK for you from the Cisco order fulfillment system.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Pujita Patni
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mike,

The Device was show unlicensed if you do not apply the Protect and Control. After you have that License, you will be able to add on URL and Malware to it.

If you purchased TAM, you should have the Protect and Control along with Malware. I would suggest you open a Licensing TAC case for the team to give you the required Licenses.

You can read more about Licensing here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/601/configuration/guide/fpmc-config-guide-v601/Licensing_the_Firepower_System.pdf

Thanks,

Pujita Patni

Hi both,

Thank you for rapid response - I was under the impression that by applying the e-delivered TAm license, it would apply control/protection and AMP.

The odd thing is - I raised a TAC yesterday, and received a new Control/Protection license, which I have since applied. The issue is that, although the licenses show up in the system > Licenses > Classic licenses section, none of them are used, and under Devices > Device Management, the 5515 still appears as unlicensed.

Could this be a config issue on my part? i.e. I am somehow not correctly associating the licenses with the managed device?

Thanks again for your help so far.

Best wishes

Mike

Hi Mike,

It should have applied the Licenses. Now if you see it under System -> Licenses, you need to edit the device that you want to apply to on Device -> Device Management, on the right you will see the License section. Edit that and check the boxes for Protect, Control and Malware.

Thanks,

Pujita Patni

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As Pujita noted, plus the "Protect and Control" license is shipped as a physical claim form with the PAK long with the appliance. It is not eDelivery like the TAM license.

If you've misplaced the form, your reseller (or the TAC Global Licensing Operations team) can call up the PAK for you from the Cisco order fulfillment system.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card