cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Closing Unused ports on my ASA

tech_king
Level 1
Level 1

I just ran a portscan on my asa firewall and noticed that the ports listed below are open on my outside interface. My problem is that I am not using any of these ports and have not firewall rules permitting them. Any ideas on how to close them?

2000/tcp open   cisco-sccp
5060/tcp open   sip
8008/tcp open   http
8080/tcp open   http-proxy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Are you running your tests from within a firewalled network? Repeat the test from a PC that is directly connected to the internet without any additional firewall. The results can vary.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Aditya Ganjoo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You can configure an access list on the outside interface of the ASA denying traffic on these ports from any source.

For example:

access-list out deny tcp any any eq 2000

access-list out deny tcp any any eq 5060

In case you need services for any other host you need to create a permit statement above these deny statements.

Regards,

Aditya

Please rate helpful and mark correct answers

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

What asa firewall software version are you running? 

Usually, you deny traffic destined to the firewall by creating an access-list and applying the access list using the access-group and control-plane keyword

e.g.

access-list HOST_FIREWALL extended deny ip any any log

access-group HOST_FIREWALL in interface OUTSIDE control-plane

if you have any services running on the firewall like VPN, then, you will need to allow the appropriate ports in your access-list.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Make sure you don't have phone proxy configured. Those ports would be used by something like that.

Also check that is is not a false positive from your scanning tool. If you go into the ASA cli and type:

show asp table socket

..you will get a listing of the open ports (both listening and established connections). On mine I only see ssh and ssl (tcp/22 and tcp/443) open.

Are you running your tests from within a firewalled network? Repeat the test from a PC that is directly connected to the internet without any additional firewall. The results can vary.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card