the_wizard
Level 1
Level 1

Hey!

FXOS: 2.2 and 2.3

FTD: 6.2.2 build 81

FMC: 6.2.3 build 84.

Looking to upgrade our 4100 setup. We're looking to go up to 6.4.0.7

As far as I understand you should do the upgrade in the following steps FMC--> FXOS --> FTD?

Is it possible to go from FTD ver 6.2.2 to 6.4.0 directly?

FXOS upgrade can/should this be pushed from the fmc or are you supposed to upload the file via the webgui os and intiate the upgrade from there?

Is there any general tips or information besides the upgrade plan guide ie knowledge how to reimage or similar?

Best Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Q: As far as I understand you should do the upgrade in the following steps FMC--> FXOS --> FTD?

A: Correct. For FXOS note the following if you have HA:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/640/relnotes/firepower-release-notes-640/upgrade.html#id_65028

(upgrade standby unit first and, after it completes, switch active roles and then upgrade the new standby unit)

Q: Is it possible to go from FTD ver 6.2.2 to 6.4.0 directly?

A: Yes for FMC. Yes for FTD on 4100 series if you have first upgraded to the necessary FXOS release. Recommend the latest FXOS (currently 2.7(1.106)).

Q: FXOS upgrade can/should this be pushed from the fmc or are you supposed to upload the file via the webgui os and initiate the upgrade from there?

A: FXOS for 4100 and 9300 series is always upgraded from the Firepower Chassis Manager (not FMC).

General advice is to just read the release notes and upgrade guides carefully. Cisco has it pretty well documented. I'd go all the way to 6.4.0.8 as of now since it patches a good number of bugs present in 6.4.0.7. For your FMC I'd even advise strongly considering 6.5.0.2.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Q: As far as I understand you should do the upgrade in the following steps FMC--> FXOS --> FTD?

A: Correct. For FXOS note the following if you have HA:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/640/relnotes/firepower-release-notes-640/upgrade.html#id_65028

(upgrade standby unit first and, after it completes, switch active roles and then upgrade the new standby unit)

Q: Is it possible to go from FTD ver 6.2.2 to 6.4.0 directly?

A: Yes for FMC. Yes for FTD on 4100 series if you have first upgraded to the necessary FXOS release. Recommend the latest FXOS (currently 2.7(1.106)).

Q: FXOS upgrade can/should this be pushed from the fmc or are you supposed to upload the file via the webgui os and initiate the upgrade from there?

A: FXOS for 4100 and 9300 series is always upgraded from the Firepower Chassis Manager (not FMC).

General advice is to just read the release notes and upgrade guides carefully. Cisco has it pretty well documented. I'd go all the way to 6.4.0.8 as of now since it patches a good number of bugs present in 6.4.0.7. For your FMC I'd even advise strongly considering 6.5.0.2.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card