cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firesight management center to configure ASA firewall rules

y.lo
Level 1
Level 1

Is Firesight management center capable of configuring normal ASA firewall rules on an ASA5585X with Firepower module?

That means I no longer need to use ASDM to configure normal firewall rules.

3 Replies 3

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

i just got hands on training for firesight last week and to my knowledge it's NO.

it's not used to configure/manage ASA firewall rules.

you'll have to do this on ASDM.

I was searching for this answer long time and finally got it from you. So it is confirmed we cannot manage a ASA through FireSIGHT for normal operations(ACL,NAT , VPN etc.).Right ?

But how about collecting logs , can FireSIGHT able to collect ASA logs(Traffic/System Events) and forward  to a syslog server? 

We have a scenario to monitor only logs (No device management)of ASA + Firepower(ASA 5525-X).In this case , can FireSight able to collect both Firepower(Threat Events) and ASA logs (traffic logs) and analysis ?

My concern is  whether I need to configure ASA and Firesight to manage complete logs or only Firesight will do all.

Thanks

ptoumbas2011
Level 1
Level 1

Firesight Management Center is been used to manage your sfr module, you need to add the Managment Center as manager on your module, through ASDM wizard or the CLI.

You should use ASDM to manage firewall rules,nat,routing,VPN and redirection of traffic to your sfr module. Then you can use FMC for URL Filtering, Network visibility, Application Control, etc 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card