Views
Helpful
Replies

Flash Image Download From Pix 501

sakdavin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Does everybody know how to download/upload flash image from pix firewall 501 which ver. 6.3(3) and 6.1.1?

Thank you in advance.

Sakdavin

4 Replies 4

yulunga
Level 1
Level 1

You will need a CCO user and have a license for the PIX IOS you want to install on you 501. You will also need a TFTP server with which to upload the image to the PIX with.

Using the copy tftp flash Command to Upgrade the PIX

Following these directions to upgrade the PIX using the copy tftp flash command.

Copy the PIX Firewall binary image (pixnnn.bin) to the root directory of the TFTP server.

From the PIX prompt, issue the copy tftp flash command.

Enter the remote host IP address.

Enter the PIX binary filename (has the pixnnn.bin name format).

Type yes.

Example - Upgrading the PIX Firewall with the copy tftp flash Command

pixfirewall# copy tftp flash

Address or name of remote host [127.0.0.1]? 172.18.125.3

Source file name [cdisk]? pix611.bin

copying tftp://172.18.125.3/pix611.bin to flash

[yes|no|again]? yes

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 2562048 bytes.

Erasing current image.

Writing 2469944 bytes of image.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Image installed.

pixfirewall#

This will upgrade the PIX os if you need to upgrade any features on your PIX this is done with a activation key. This is obtainable from Cisco or a reseller,

There are a couple of reasons that you may need to upgrade the activation key on your PIX.

• Your PIX does not currently have VPN-DES or VPN-3DES encryption enabled.

Note: VPN-DES encryption must be enabled for you to manage your PIX using PDM. Registered users may obtain a free 56-bit VPN-DES activation key by completing the PIX 56-bit License Upgrade Key form. VPN-3DES activation keys must be purchased through your local reseller or Cisco sales representative.

• Your PIX currently does not have failover activated.

• You are upgrading from a connection-based license to a feature-based license.

If you fall into one of the above categories and have obtained a new activation key for your PIX, the next step is to connect to your PIX, issue the show version command, and save the output to a text file. The output of the show version command contains your existing version, serial number, and activation key. You will need this information if there are any problems upgrading your activation key.

The PIX activation key based on the PIX's serial number and is therefore unique for each PIX. The activation key tells the PIX what features it is licensed for. The serial number of your PIX is saved in Flash, so if you replace the Flash card in your PIX, then your PIX will have a new serial number (different from the number shown on the sticker on the outside of the box). Always use the serial number displayed in the output of the show version command.

Hope this information answerers your question

Glenn

Hello Glenn,

Thank you for the reply.Your answer is a part of my question.

Now I have two Pix Firewall 501. The IOS version of the first one is 6.3(3) and the second one is 6.1.1.

I have had a problem with my CCO account.Anyway, is there a possible way to download IOS from the first pix and then upload it to the second one.

Plese advise me the way to download IOS from the first pix.

Thank you.

Sakdavin

Hello,

I mean that is there a possible way to download software image from flash memory of the pix firewall to my PC via TFTP server.

Thank you.

Sakdavin

Hi Sakdavin:

Unfortunately,there isn't a way to copy PIX OS image back to a TFTP server.

Sincerely,

Binh

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card