cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FMC Default Logging and Default IPS

dan hale
Level 3
Level 3

Hi....I have a Firepower Management Center running 4110 in FTD. We are on version 6.2.3.4 on FMC.

I have about 50 Access Control Policy Rules...is there a way that I can turn on logging to the globally on all the ACP rules or do I have to go to each Access Control Policy and turn on each one.

The same goes for my IPS features. I have created an IPS policy but, do I need to go to each ACP rule and turn it on?

I see that there is a "Network and Analysis Intrusion Polices" where I can set my default network policy but, I did not see the policy I created

Network Analysis and intrusion policies.JPG

Thanks,

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Dan Hale,

Network analysis and intrusion policies work together as part of the firepower intrusion detection and prevention feature. 

Network analysis policy governs how traffic is decoded and preprocessed so that it can be further evaluated, especially for anomalous traffic that might signal an intrusion attempt. 

An Intrusion policy uses intrusion and preprocessor rules (sometimes referred to collectively as intrusion rules) to examine the decoded packets for attacks based on patterns. Intrusion policies are paired with variable sets, which allow you to use named values to accurately reflect your network environment. 

Below is the order of  traffic analysis in an inline, intrusion prevention and advanced malware protection (AMP) deployment. It illustrates how the access control policy invokes other policies to examine traffic, and in which order those policies are invoked. The network analysis and intrusion policy selection phases are highlighted. 

2018-12-15 01_25_29-Understanding Network Analysis and Intrusion Policies.jpg

Thanks,
Abheesh
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Abheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

For logging and enabling IPS policy on ACP rules, you need to goto each and every rule to enable it. There is no global option for enabling.

For network analysis policy, go to Intrusion policy on top right corner you can see network analysis tab and click create a policy. Then goto ACP edit the policy Advanced setting select the Network analysis policy there.

Hope This Helps

Abheesh

Thanks Abheesh,

So what is the real difference between the Network analysis policy and Intrusion Prevention Policy...I guess I thought they were the same.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan

The Network Discovery policy relates to scanning the traffic and builds up
all the host profile intelligence attributes.

The Intrusion Policy relates to the Deep Packet Inspection for known
malware file signatures, vulnerability exploits etc. The IPS (SNORT) engine
provides the pass or block verdict.

As phil mentioned they are two different set of rules.

network discovery policy is a passive policy to gather the network information. however you must have to define a network discovery policy. by default its 0.0.0.0 and limit is 50,000.

IPS as phil mentioned.

you can also do a NAP for more specific network security to define your network parameter etc.

please do not forget to rate.

Hi Dan Hale,

Network analysis and intrusion policies work together as part of the firepower intrusion detection and prevention feature. 

Network analysis policy governs how traffic is decoded and preprocessed so that it can be further evaluated, especially for anomalous traffic that might signal an intrusion attempt. 

An Intrusion policy uses intrusion and preprocessor rules (sometimes referred to collectively as intrusion rules) to examine the decoded packets for attacks based on patterns. Intrusion policies are paired with variable sets, which allow you to use named values to accurately reflect your network environment. 

Below is the order of  traffic analysis in an inline, intrusion prevention and advanced malware protection (AMP) deployment. It illustrates how the access control policy invokes other policies to examine traffic, and in which order those policies are invoked. The network analysis and intrusion policy selection phases are highlighted. 

2018-12-15 01_25_29-Understanding Network Analysis and Intrusion Policies.jpg

Thanks,
Abheesh
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question.

evan.chadwick1
Level 1
Level 1

Looks like this thread has handled your Q. 

Interested to know your use case for needing 50 rules in an ACL Policy?

Hi Evan,

I've worked on plenty of older firewalls PIX/ASA that have had far more then 50 ACL rules.

This particular firewall we converted from a Cisco ASA 5510. While we cleaned up the ACL's before we converted based on the ACL hitcounts there was ACL's still being used. Long term we will hopefully will clean up more that don't need to be used.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi, I was referring to FIrepower ACL policy, not ASA.

Thanks for reply however.

dan hale
Level 3
Level 3

Thank you everyone for the great info...cleared it up!

Thanks,

Dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card