Views
Helpful
Replies

FMC/FTD Backup and restore

benolyndav
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

Do we need to backup our FTD devices or is it enough to just backup the FMC? if we had to replace one of the FTD's would we just get the correct version running on it be able to just re-apply the old config, are my steps below accurate.

1. new FTD as to have compatible code to be manged by FMC

2. once on correct code configure manger and push FTD config from FMC  and re-apply policies

3. then upgrade to previous version.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @benolyndav 

I'd personally would just ensure the FMC is backed up regularly. If you need to rebuild an FTD, just install the OS, configure the management interface and establish connectivity to the FMC and push policy. No need to backup and restore the FTD that I can see.

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi @benolyndav 

I'd personally would just ensure the FMC is backed up regularly. If you need to rebuild an FTD, just install the OS, configure the management interface and establish connectivity to the FMC and push policy. No need to backup and restore the FTD that I can see.

HTH

Doesn’t having an FTD backup reduce the amount of config if a restore was required?

Eg. Restores interface config, routing etc?

Chuck Reimer
Level 1
Level 1

If I'm not mistaken here the device configuration is not stored on the FMC and hence an FMC backup. Some of our FTD's have 20 or so virtual interfaces and static routes which would have to be configured manually if a rebuild was necessary. We take bi-weekly backups of our ftd's.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card