Views
Helpful
Replies

FMC/FTD Packet Capture with Trace doesn't work

paul.l.kyte
Level 1
Level 1

I have an FMC with an FTD v6.6.1

When I try to setup a packet capture w/trace on the FMC for this FTD I get the following error message when I try to save (apply) the capture:

"Unable to execute the command properly. Please see logs for more details."

I don't know which logs it is referring to or how to view these.

I have also noticed that the interface I want to capture on is a sub interface. If I choose the main interface, this is a port channel, it allows me and it saves and runs the packet capture. However it captures nothing and then if I try to save the capture it fails with a similar message of Please see logs for more details.

Can someone tell me why I cant setup a packet capture on a sub interface and what/where is the logs the error message refers to, how do I access and view these.

Thanks for your help

2 Replies 2

Chakshu Piplani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

A screenshot of the error would have helped along with the config you have put to run the pcap on FMC.

You can run pcap from CLI as a workaround if you are comfortable with CLI, the GUI does the same thing and pushes the pcap to CLI.

Screenshots blow:

image.png

image.png

You can refer to the following guide to understand how to run pcap on ASA:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-5500-x-series-next-generation-firewalls/118097-configure-asa-00.html#anc10

Regards,

Chakshu

Do rate helpful posts!

Hi Chakshu

Thank you for your reply.

I can run a capture using the command line but the FMC GUI capture setup needs to work, my colleagues need to use this.

I'm attaching the screenshots for your reference. I need the GUI capture to work. What is the log stated in the error message, where is it, and how do I view it?

This is assuming the log will have meaningful information in it.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card