cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FTD 2110 Updates - install- Ha devices radio buttons are grayed out

arumugasamy
Level 1
Level 1

After we have uploaded the image to the FMC and pushed the image to the FTD HA pairs when we click the install the radio buttons of the HA group and both the devices buttons are grayed out so we can not select them to either readiness check or install. The customer wants to open the TAC case but I requested the reboot of the HA pairs.

Please give me your expert answers.

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

If the radio buttons for the HA group and devices are grayed out and you cannot select them for readiness check or installation in Cisco Firepower Management Center (FMC), there are a few possible reasons and solutions you can try:

Verify HA Configuration: Ensure that your HA configuration is correctly set up in the FMC. Check that both devices are added to the HA group and their HA status is active.

Verify Device Connectivity: Confirm that both devices are properly connected and reachable from the FMC. Ensure that network connectivity is established between the FMC and the FTD devices.

Check Device Licensing: Ensure that both FTD devices have valid licenses applied. In some cases, if the licenses are expired or not correctly installed, it can cause the devices to be grayed out in the FMC. Verify the licenses and reapply them if necessary.

Check Device Registration: Make sure that both FTD devices are registered with the FMC. If the devices are not registered or have connectivity issues with the FMC, they may appear grayed out. Check the registration status and resolve any registration issues.

Verify FMC and FTD Software Versions: Check that the software versions of the FMC and FTD devices are compatible. Incompatible software versions can cause issues with device management and gray out the radio buttons. Update the software versions if necessary to maintain compatibility.

Review Device Health: Ensure that both FTD devices are in a healthy state. Check the device health status and address any reported issues. If a device is experiencing problems, it may prevent you from selecting it for readiness check or installation.

If you have tried these steps and the radio buttons for the HA group and devices are still grayed out, it may be helpful to review the FMC logs for any relevant error messages.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thanks a lot for your detailed information.
I have done the readiness check in the cli this time instead of using the GUI where the devices are greyed out. The check is passed now. Devices > device management >
Here we can select the HA group and under the actions we can see the Firepower upgrade option to run.
Shall I do the upgrade from here instead of using the system>updates due to devices greyed out to select

- I would give it a try but I can't guarantee success , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

With FMC 7.0 and earlier you need to run the readiness check on the units in an HA pair individually. This is noted in the release notes:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/70/relnotes/firepower-release-notes-700/features.html

Once you do that, you can proceed to upgrade as usual.

I did the Readiness check in the cli. In the GUI, system>updates>install, before click the install icon, we should select the devices in the HA group. Here what happened is the radio button is grayed out can not click.
What is the other method to upgrade the devices

You should be able to run the readiness check in the GUI one each member unit separately.

If you cannot, you can upgrade via cli similar to how you did it with ASA. This blog post notes how to do so:
https://ciscoskills.net/2017/07/12/update-firepower-devices-manually/

However, that's not a recommended path. If it's not working from FMC then you are better off opening a TAC case to get that fixed since doing it in a non-supported manner may make a bad situation worse (and possibly leave you in a service-affecting outage).

Yes, You are correct. Let me try to open the TAC
Thank you so much for all of you .

Dear Marce

under Smart licensing, it shows "out of compliance."

Is it the reason for the issue of grey out. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card