Views
Helpful
Replies

FTD 2120 HA ECMP with RA SSL

paul-d
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

On an FTD 2120 HA, would i be right in thinking we cannot use SSL RA (secure client) when our FTD is configured with dual WAN (two separate physical interfaces) using ECMP with IP SLA?

Or would i have to enable SSL RA on both WAN/ Out interfaces as FMC complains when i only have the one WAN/ out configured for SSL RA.

6 Replies 6

did you config ECMP Zone? 

MHM

yes, i configured the ECMP zone, however after deploying FMC complained and i had to disable the SSL access.

sorry friend 
any interface use for 
RA VPN 
S2S VPN 
can not use for ECMP Zone in FTD from 7.0 to 7.4 
maybe new update come without this limitation 

MHM

Hi,

I'm sure you can use S2S vpn as I have it running currently on a single interface within an Ecmp zone. 

What if is gave the Ftd another 2 interfaces, both with a unique ip in their respective wan networks would that work?

so the ftd would have a total of 4 wan links, two in an Ecmp zone and the other two used for RA, where two interfaces are part of the same network just with different ips

Or is that not really recommended? 

there are two ECMP in Cisco 
1- ECMP by config two route to different next-hop and use same metric the FTD load balance the traffic by use tuple-5/3
2- ECMP by config two interface in one ECMP zone
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/secure-firewall-threat-defense/221692-configure-ecmp-with-ip-sla-on-ftd-manage.html

it seem the same but as I search for two days the different is Conn, in first one there is two conn for each traffic pass each interface, in second there is ONE conn 

FTD ECMP.png

the first case come with many restriction from cisco, it different from one Ver. to other that why I specify multi ver. in my previous comment.

"""so the ftd would have a total of 4 wan links, two in an Ecmp zone and the other two used for RA, where two interfaces are part of the same network just with different ips"""

how you config default route if you have four, you need PBR to direct traffic to ECMP zone, and that also need to check and make new other WAN interface have default route, 
then it come about RA VPN you need to specify two WAN IP in Anyconnect profile one as primary and other as backup. 

if you have other Q please ask hope I can help here in your task 

thanks 
MHM

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card