Views
Helpful
Replies

FTD and DDNS

Chess Norris
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I'm trying to get DDNS to work on a FTD 7.4, but without any luck so far. 

Previously I had a DDNS client configured on a Synology NAS and that worked without any issues, but I have problem getting it to work on the FTD.

When enable debug DDNS, I can see the following:

#debug ddns
DDNS update request = /xyz?hostname=vpn.mydomain.se&myip=78.71.10.10
URL request = https://dyndns.loopia.se/xyz?hostname=<h>&myip=<a>
Buf request = text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Host: dyndns.loopia.se
Authorization: Basic ZmlyZXBvd2VyLnNlOjNxd6Fv3Sdjb2s=
User-Agent: Cisco/1.0

A "show ddns update interface outside" gives this output:

show ddns update interface outside

Dynamic DNS Update on outside:
Update Method Name Update Destination
WEB not available

Last Update attempted on 12:13:05.337 UTC Tue Jul 30 2024
Reason : Could not establish a connection to the server

The DDNS config looks like this and I have also downloaded and import the CA certificate from the DDNS provider according to the config guide.

interface Ethernet1/1
no switchport
nameif outside
security-level 0
ddns update hostname vpn.mydomain.se
ddns update WEB
dhcp client update dns server both
ip address dhcp setroute
!
!
ddns update method WEB
web update-url https://username:password@dyndns.loopia.se/xyz?hostname=<h>&myip=<a>
interval maximum 0 0 5 0

Anyone know what can be the issue? I can ping the DDNS server without any problem, so I dont think it's DNS related. 

Thanks

/Chess

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Regarding DNS, just to be sure, when you try to ping the DDNS server (dyndns.loopia.se), you're doing so from the FTD appliance?
This could also be a certificate issue, if the appliance trusts the certificate from the dyndns server?

In order to check if connectivity is being made and successful, you could run a packet capture on the outside interface and matching all traffic to the IP address that dyndns.loopia.se resolves to, and verify if the FTD appliance is trying to make a connection and if three-way-handshake is successful.
This way you can rule out if it's a connectivity/DNS issue or not.

So if you can see the connection being made, I would verify if the FTD has a trustpoint for the CA of the DDNS server (step 9 in the guide you referenced), and debug SSL while verifying.

Another thing I want to point out, while getting the debug output is appreciated in your original post, the Authorization header includes a base64 encoded user/pass, which is reversible (it's an encoding technique, not encryption). If these are your credentials for this service I highly recommend you change them.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Previously I had a DDNS client configured on a Synology NAS and that worked without any issues

is this with same FTD ?

but I have problem getting it to work on the FTD.  - is this problem after upgrade to 7.4 or never worked ?

how are you managing FTD using FDM or FTD.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

This was the first time I tried to set it up with FTD. Before I had it configured on a Synology NAS behind the FTD.

I followed the guide here her:  https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/secure-firewall/management-center/device-config/720/management-center-device-config-72/interfaces-settings-dhcp-ddns.html 

FTD is managed by FMC. 

/Chess

Thanks

MHM

Hi,

Are you sure about that? WEB method is mention in the configuration guide and I can select it in FMC.

155112.jpg

Fmc you use 7.x ?

MHM

FMC and FTD are both on 7.4

Regarding DNS, just to be sure, when you try to ping the DDNS server (dyndns.loopia.se), you're doing so from the FTD appliance?
This could also be a certificate issue, if the appliance trusts the certificate from the dyndns server?

In order to check if connectivity is being made and successful, you could run a packet capture on the outside interface and matching all traffic to the IP address that dyndns.loopia.se resolves to, and verify if the FTD appliance is trying to make a connection and if three-way-handshake is successful.
This way you can rule out if it's a connectivity/DNS issue or not.

So if you can see the connection being made, I would verify if the FTD has a trustpoint for the CA of the DDNS server (step 9 in the guide you referenced), and debug SSL while verifying.

Another thing I want to point out, while getting the debug output is appreciated in your original post, the Authorization header includes a base64 encoded user/pass, which is reversible (it's an encoding technique, not encryption). If these are your credentials for this service I highly recommend you change them.

Thanks, It was indeed the certificate that caused the issue. I just received a new CA cert from Loopia and now everything looks good.

Update URL request = https://dyndns.loopia.se/xyz?hostname=<h>&myip=<a>
Successfuly updated the DDNS sever with current IP addresses
DDNS: Another update completed, outstanding = 0

Best regards

/Chess

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card