Views
Helpful
Replies

FTD redundant pair for the LAB

anazarenko
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Experts,

What is the cheapest option for a redundant pair of FTD hardware appliances in the LAB?

FP4110 + TMC license becomes quite expensive.  Ideally I need FP4110 + TMC with a license for a throughtput around 1-5Mbps. 

The other option to run a pair of FP2100 maybe not so representative for production FP4110 anf FP4140 redundant pairs.

6 Replies 6

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you  a partner or end customer?

A partner has the option of NFR hardware and lab licenses.

A customer has the option of scheduling time with demo labs.

Either one can also use FTDv with evaluation licenses or dCloud for feature testing. Sure neither is hardware but 90% of what you need to know and verify is software.

I am  end customer and I need the hardware on-site. 

You can get throughput of 1-5 Mbps even on a virtual FTD with the free time-limited demo license. Did you mean Gbps?

Cisco is currently ofering a discount on the licenses for the secondary unit in an greenfield HA setup.

Âs Marvin suggest I would also recommend using FTDv. You can install a 2x FTDv and build an HA bundle. No need to invest in hardware if you dont have to do specific tests that require you to have a certain hardware model. The software is exactly the same... the only difference to FP2100/4100/9300 is that you dont have FX-OS underneath.

I have a requirement to validate all HA upgrades in the LAB. I don't think FTDv is a right representation in this case. As you mentioned I can't validate underneath FXOS upgrades with FTDv. Traffic wise 5Mbps throughtput will be more than enough.

That's a very expensive rquirement as you say. If you MUST validate the upgrades using hardware and it MUST be on-site then you have no option but to buy the same hardware solely for lab use.

I would tell management that if they are going to levy that requirement then it must be identical even down to the network modules and SFPs. I don't think it makes good business sense but that is not my decision to make.

The only break is that when you buy a new pair, there is a bundle that discounts the software subscriptions for the second unit.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card