cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FTDv on ESXI

gcook0001
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to setup an FTDv on ESXI. The reason for this is that the 1120 we ordered is not available to the end of April and we need this soon. So we are going to use the FTDv till the hardware comes in. The issue is we don't have any experience working with vmware. I have spent the last month reading documentation and watching videos but I can't find anything that explains how to setup the ESXI environment and the have it work with the FTD. Everything I have read says to create the network interfaces in ESXI but nothing tells you how to do it. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

check the Esxi version -  check the hardware requirement :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/quick_start/consolidated_ftdv_gsg/ftdv-gsg/m-ftdv-vmware-gsg.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPqDJS-Ze-I

Note: you mentioned you have read many documents and videos, but may be you may come across the above,. they are simple steps to install, as long as you have basic knowledge of ESXi VM deployment.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I was able to get this to work. First I had to change the security zones on the interfaces. I created security zone specifically for that firewall. The new zones had the same subnet as the original security zones which they didn't like. I was worried about the fact that when I deployed a change it wanted to deploy that change to both firewalls even though the change only affected one. The other thing was I had to remove the vlan tags from the port groups in ESXI.

Thanks for your help

Glad you were able to resolve this, if no further assistance is required can you mark as resolved to help other community members who looking same options or issues?

I was worried about the fact that when I deployed a change it wanted to deploy that change to both firewalls even though the change only affected one  - Not sure I understand this one. if both firewalls in HA? if they are separate you can only select one you looking to deploy rather both ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card