cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FTP to ASA not working

marc-berger
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to re-mage an SFR module on an ASA but when I do a system install via ftp, I get a permission denied error. I have ruled out the FTP server as the issue as I am able to FTP to a totally different set of firewalls so that should rule out the server as the issue. I then connected locally to the inside interface of the asa (basically just putting my laptop in the same subnet/vlan) as the inside interface and get the same error. I also tried to source from different interfaces (inside, management) with no luck.  I have never seen this before where you can't ftp. NOTE: TFTP does work to the asa but from all I have read when you do the system install on the SFR you cannot use TFTP.

9 Replies 9

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Could you post a screenshot of the error ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

This is the error i get back on the ASA.

Accessing ftp://marc:123987@10.31.2.39/asasfr-5500x-boot-6.4.0-1.img...
%Error opening ftp://marc:123987@10.31.2.39/asasfr-5500x-boot-6.4.0-1.img (Permission denied)

- Is this a push or get operation , meaning post full CLI command tried (tx).

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

marc-berger
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am just trying to get a file from my ftp server back to the asa. This is the command I am running. it works fine to another set of firewalls fine. I just plugged my laptop/ftp server locally to the management interface and get permission denied.

copy ftp://marc:123987@10.31.2.39/asasfr-5500x-boot-6.4.0-1.img disk0:/asasfr-5500x-boot-6.4.0-1.img

- Check logs on the ftp server when this is tried.

M.

Could it be related to any local firewall policy on your FTP "server" that is denying this traffic from this specific ASA? I would personally try to run Wireshark on the FTP server and check what traffic is being exchanged between the two ends.

Is there a reason why you are re-imaging using the very old 6.4.0?

Also, when I do a copy like this, I leave the destination file name blank (i.e., disk0:/).

Does your logged in user credential have local admin privilege and are you running the command from enable mode?

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

can you ping your laptop/FTP IP from the ASA?

a few things to check:

-make sure FTP password is correct

-make sure the image file is present, file name is correct and file location/directory is also correct

-try to use other spare ASA port, connect your laptop and configure L3 IP

-last resort is transfer the image via ASA USB slot

marc-berger
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up converting my laptop into a webserver and the file transfer worked to the asa fine but not to the SFR module. I was able to see I/O errors so it ended up being a bad SSD which cisco is replacing.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card