Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM in VSS mode

b_lamine81
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We ave 2 6509 switchs configured in VSS mode with a FWSM module in each switch. We have also a licences of 20 contexts for each FWSM module.

I've read that in the release software 4.0(4) of the FWSM, the integration and deployment of FWSM in a VSS environment are done transparently and do not require special configuration.

1st, what happen if I don't configure any think on the 6500 VSS??? does it consider like I have One FWSM with 40 contexts??? or One FWSM with 20 contexts???

Does il work in active/active mode or should I configre the failover mode separately ???

Regards,

Lamine

3 Replies 3

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

VSS and FWSM Modes of Operation

The FWSM modes of operations are left intact when switching from standalone mode to VSS mode. Namely, the FWSM can operate within VSS environment in single mode/multimode as well as routed or transparent mode. The standalone inter/intrachassis failover units are supported in this model as well as both active/standby and active/active

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps9336/white_paper_c11_513360.html

HTH

if helpful rate

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply.

whant I want to know is in a configuration point of view:

do we need to configure HA Active/Active and Active/Passive like if we had 2 separate ASA??? or when we have a 6500 VSS and release software 4.0(4) of the FWSM the VSS take in charge the load balancing between the 2 FWSM.

what about the licence of 20 contexts??? it will be counted as 20 ctx or 2x20 contexts if we configure the VSS???

Regards,

Lamine

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: