cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Getting to the settings PIX 506E

pbassociates
Level 1
Level 1

I have just got a PIX 506E and i turned off the DHCP server for the inside address and assigned it an ip of 125.0.0.57 and a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 so it can work on the network. However i might have typed the subnet mask in wrong as i can no longer get into the PDM. I can ping it so i know its ip address is right. Is there any way i can get in without the subnet mask being known or is there a manual way of resetting the factory defaults?

3 Replies 3

pkinzel
Level 1
Level 1

There are administration rules that limit what IP addresses can connect via PDM. To specify HTTP access for your PC via the inside address, you must have:

"HTTP x.x.x.x 255.255.255.255 inside"

configured (x.x.x.x is your PC's IP address).

The same goes for telnet and ssh.

Then go to HTTPS://y.y.y.y (where y.y.y.y is the Pix inside address).

You can either console into the Pix to make this change, or if you haven't saved your changes, rebooting the Pix will reset it to the last saved configuration.

I didn't know there were limits on the ip addresses. What do you mean by "HTTP x.x.x.x 255.255.255.255 inside" configured?

How do i console into the pix (what do i use as the terminal emulation software as the cisco manual isn't clear?

To make it simple, use the command 'HTTP 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 inside' to remove all restrictions on your ability to use PDM from the inside of your network.

To console into the Pix, you must use a rolled cable. If you bought the Pix directly from Cisco, one should have come with it. It is a flat, light-blue cable. Pop one end into the console port of the Pix. The other end needs to go into an RJ-45 to DB-9 adapter that also should come with the Pix. This plugs into the serial port of your PC. On your PC, open up hyperterminal and connect to the COM/serial port and make sure the settings are 9600/8/none/1/hardware. Log in to the pix. Type 'enable' and enter the enable password. Type 'config t' and hit enter.

Type 'HTTP 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 inside' and hit enter

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card