cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Happy with IDSM-2?

offtheboxuser
Level 1
Level 1

We' re about to acquire IDSM-2 and wondering what seasoned idsm-2 admins have to share about it.

So far, i've had comments ranging from complaints to quite satisfied admin experiences:

-It's hard to make signatures tunings

-Even when signature tunning has been accomplished (to certain level) , quantity of false alarms are outrageous

-Dependency on cisco mars to obtain meaningful reports

Some questions:

What are your general opinion about IDSM-2

Is Cisco IPS Manager Express enough for your reporting needs on a daily basis?

Thanks

DJY

2 Replies 2

mikecrowe4ICS_2
Level 1
Level 1

The IDSM-2 isn't really that different from any of the other Cisco IDS/IPS platforms.  They all run the same system software and management clients, and generally have a standard set of features.  As for the comments you've gotten (difficult to tune, false alarms, poor built-in reporting) - those issues are not specific to the IDSM-2.  If someone has those kinds of complaints, they would have them with any of the Cisco IDS/IPS products.

Are you definitely getting the IDSM-2?  Or is your company still in the decision-making process?

BTW - in my opinion, the design/deployment phase is critical in getting the most out of your IDSM-2 - even moreso than with a dedicated appliance or ASA module.  You have to be thorough when choosing how to configure it (inline/passive, placement, etc), and ensuring you're going to see the right traffic.  Be sure to take the time to do it right.

I aggree with Michael. The only thing I'd add is: keep your traffic at or below 250Mb/s per IDSM. Whe you run more than 250-350 Mb/s thru it you'll see dropped packets on the interface.

- Bob

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card