Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I access my cisco terminal server remotely

jeanaguemon
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

I have verizon wireless router to connect to the internet via FIOS. The public IP on the wireless router is DHCP assigned. I have my home lab with cisco 2511 and octal cables. I would like to be able to access the terminal server remotely via the internet when I'm not in. I'm concerned cause the wireless router is DHCP assigned IP. Even if I have a static IP on the ethernet port of the 2511 connected to the wireless router, I'm not sure if the NAT will work so it can be accessible from the internet. Anyone there with FIOS who has done this before ? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have not done this with FIOS so can not address your question from experience. But I can address this issue in general. To be able to access the terminal server from the Internet there must be an address translation configured on the Internet connected layer 3 device, which is the Verizon wireless router. It would be easy if your Internet router had a second public IP address available since then you could just do a static translation of the second address to the address of the terminal server inside your home network. But since Verizon (I think) gives you only a single IP address then you would probably need to do some port forwarding configuration. In that case a connection request to the public address assigned to the router on port x would be forwarded to the terminal server address on port y (22 if you want SSH or 23 if you want telnet).

I do not know if Verizon will let you do this. Perhaps someone in the forum can address that question.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Richard,

I appreciated it. Verizon might be able to assign me /30 subnet so I can have two usables. If they cannot, port forwarding is possible but I'm not sure if Verizon wireless router will do port forwarding to a different IP. Yes it can do same IP with port forwading. I have to research that. Anyone else there for other suggestions ? Thanks.

Jean.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: