cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure Firepower FTD to fail to a secure state?

CiscoPurpleBelt
Level 6
Level 6

Upon system reboot, initialization, abort, etc., how can you confirm the Firepower (FTD software) fails to a secure state and if you must configure, how do you do it and/or what is the syntex?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

From this and several other questions you've posed it sounds like you are trying to document DISA STIG compliance.

I don't believe that FTD is compliant with this particular requirement, so you may need to use a compensating control.

View solution in original post

Not an alternate configuration - I was thinking more of an operational procedure to ensure the desired result. That is, doing something outside of the firewall to ensure continued system protection is in place, even it it means "fail close" - for example, disconnecting the interfaces until the configuration is verified good following a system failure. Either that or accept the risk of not meeting that particular requirement.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Tariq Mahmoud
Level 1
Level 1

Can you elaborate further on what you mean by "secure state", or state your requirements? 

You can refer to the advisory lists below to check further if any FTD software is affected by any vulnerability  :
https://sec.cloudapps.cisco.com/security/center/publicationListing.x
If there is a bug, you should patch, upgrade, or implement it's workaround. Beside that I believe the normal configuration should be okay.

The FTD will stop forwarding traffic if any of those events occur.

SecureInLife: First step in Firepower Threat Defense

I think you talk about if SNORT is failed what FTD will do? it can open or closed
check link above 

No I believe it is just in general what the FTD will do. Also, Im using FMC and there are no inline set configured or entries under the FTD.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

From this and several other questions you've posed it sounds like you are trying to document DISA STIG compliance.

I don't believe that FTD is compliant with this particular requirement, so you may need to use a compensating control.

Compensating control meaning an alternate config on the FTD?

Not an alternate configuration - I was thinking more of an operational procedure to ensure the desired result. That is, doing something outside of the firewall to ensure continued system protection is in place, even it it means "fail close" - for example, disconnecting the interfaces until the configuration is verified good following a system failure. Either that or accept the risk of not meeting that particular requirement.

Ok right. Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card