Views
Helpful
Replies

How to know the IPS censor (model FP7120-K9) in Block mode or Monitor mode

Tang-Suan Tan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

May I know by GUI or CLI, how to get to know current IPS censor is in Block mode or Monitor mode?

I have FirePower Management Centre to manage all these IPS censors, is there a way to check also the Block or Monitor mode from the FirePower Management Centre?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Inline generally means live traffic enters and exits the IPS. If you are connected to a span port or off of an appliance that copies the traffic like a Gigamon then you would be "not inline".

Sometimes an IPS rule might have a direction associated with it - if the traffic is observed from external to home net then it is dropped. However the same patterns may be allowed from home net (private IP) to external. You can see the "would have dropped" for that latter case.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In FMC look under the applied IPS policy (Policies > Access Control > Intrusion) and see the setting "Drop When Inline". That check box governs globally how IPS rules affect the traffic with "drop and generate events" action specified.

If the device is not inline, you will get events with "Would have Dropped" as the action when traffic hits a rule with the "drop and generate events" action otherwise specified.

Hi Marvin,

Many thanks on your reply.

Yes, my FMC is with Yes on the "Drop when inline".

As such, I can conclude that the IPS censors are in Block mode.

I have a further question that can you explain "inline" and "not inline" in term of IPS operaton?

In some cases, under the same rule, I observed that the IPS drops the traffic with source IP in public IP while "would have dropped" source IP in private IP address range such as 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x or 172.16.x.x to 172.32.x.x.

How to explain such thing in term of "Drop when inline"? 

Thanks and regards,

Tangsuan Tan

Inline generally means live traffic enters and exits the IPS. If you are connected to a span port or off of an appliance that copies the traffic like a Gigamon then you would be "not inline".

Sometimes an IPS rule might have a direction associated with it - if the traffic is observed from external to home net then it is dropped. However the same patterns may be allowed from home net (private IP) to external. You can see the "would have dropped" for that latter case.

Hi Marvin,

Thanks a lot on your reply.

Appreciate your help on this.

regards,

Tangsuan Tan

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card