Views
Helpful
Replies

How to recover IDS using CD recovery. and/or password recovery

orenrahat
Level 1
Level 1

I'm getting the following error message:

"No Hard drives has been found. You probably need to manually choose device drivers for the installation to succeed. Would you like to select drivers now?"

IDS cd os 4.1(1)

Choosing yes doesn’t lead to selecting drivers and I'm not sure how to install them. Choosing no doesn't help either.

Also I'm trying to use this recovery CD on other unit that is password protected and I lost the password for it. i can't even boot from the CD. It boots immediately from the HD and it wont let me go for the CMOS setup to change boot order.

Oren

7 Replies 7

nkhawaja
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

what is your sensor model? Does it boot from hard disk?

this seems to me a harddisk failure issue

the sensors (I have 2) are 4210 units build by dell?

In order to find out if this is a bios problem with the HD i open the unit, changed the bios config jumper, changed a setting power down put the jumper back in place and now the unit is kind of dead. when i power it up it will power and do auto shutdown without even running cmos. did i just destroy the unit?

I wanted to open the other unit (the password protected one) and change the bios setting so i can boot from the recovery CD but now I'm afriad to do so.

thanks

Oren

can you make the change back? see if you are able to run to the cmos

The system wont boot up. It will power up and kind of shut sown on its on. there for aside from trying to play with the bios config jumper (which i did) i cant do a thing. I can't even reach the cmos.

Oren,

There is a known issue with IDS-4210s not being able to boot from certain CD-R media. Are you using an original Cisco Upgrade/Recovery CD, or is it a copy?

I'm not sure how your system is configured right now, but if you see a Cisco graphic during boot you can press the F2 key a few times after that screen comes up and it should go into CMOS setup. If you don't see the graphic, you should see a prompt to break into BIOS (which I assume you didn't). You should not have to change the BIOS config jumper to break into BIOS setup. What setting did you change in the BIOS?

When you powered the system back up, did you push the power button a second time to see if it would work then? If you remove power from a 4210 (yank the cord), it will power up the fans and system board when you re-apply power to determine the previous state of the system, and then shutdown. This sounds like the behavior you are describing. If so, you then have to press the power button to power the system on for real.

-Rusty

I have no problem booting using the cd. (it is a copy)

I changed the IDE config to auto. (tried to see if the system can recognize the HD)

the systems dont have a power button. I power up by connecting to power strip and then flipping up the power strip switch to on.

Okay...first things first. The IDS-4210 does have a power button. If the bezel is installed, there is a silver button on the front that controls power. If the bezel is removed, you will need to push on the plastic circuit cover where the power symbol is located. The symbol looks like a circle with a vertical line at the top. Press directly on that symbol. Typically the sensor will boot back up if you remove power the way you described if it was running at the time. This is because the power settings in CMOS are setup to return to the last state (running, off) after a power failure. It's possible that messing with the jumper on the board resets this setting causing it to lose state, and thereby requiring you to manually press the power button to get the system to come back up. This should get us back to the HDD issue....

When you had the cover off, did you happen to check the power and IDE cables to the HDD? If not, try removing and reseating the connectors as a first step. You may also try moving the drive to the other bay and connecting it there (to rule out cable issues). This config should work, but it hasn't been tested. If you are still having problems, it is probably a HDD failure, and I would recommend RMAing the system. If you really want to make sure this is the problem before going through the hassle of an RMA, you can test the drive in a separate system (or swap with your second 4210). Just don't install two drives in the same 4210 at the same time.

On the second system, you indicated that it was not booting to the CD, but would boot directly to the HDD. This may still be an issue with your CD copy, because not all IDS-4210s will behave the same way, even with the same CD. We have witnessed this in the lab ourselves. My only guess is that some of the CD-ROM drives are more sensitive than others. I would try to verify BIOS settings on this system before blaming the CD though, unless you have another CD to test with.

Regarding breaking into CMOS, can you describe what you are seeing when the system boots? Are you connected through the serial port or with a keyboard and monitor? If you are connected through the serial port, you may not see anything if console redirection is not enabled in the BIOS. You will have to connect a keyboard and monitor to fix this. If you are on a monitor, you should see one of two things...either a Cisco splash screen, or standard text POST messages with a prompt to hit to run SETUP. Hit while either of these is displayed, and it should enter CMOS setup once the initial cpu and memory tests are completed.

Let me know if you are still having problems after trying these suggestions. You can contact me directly if you want (rwassom@cisco.com).

-Rusty

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card