Views
Helpful
Replies

How to upgrade firepower module to latest version from management center

cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am running a ASA 5525-X with Firepower, the firepower is managed from Firepower Management Center. Due to a bug in the current version I want to upgrade the module and the management center to the latest version. Can anyone tell me the correct steps to du this from the management center?

Do I have to download files manually? I am bit confused about boot image, sensor image and management center.

Current version : 6.0.0.1005

Br,

Thor-Egil

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rahul Govindan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You would need the Sensor Upgrade file to upgrade the Sensor to the new version and Firepower Management center upgrade file for the Manager. Both should be ".sh" files like below:

Cisco_Network_Sensor_Upgrade-6.2.0-362.sh

Sourcefire_3D_Defense_Center_S3_Upgrade-6.2.0-362.sh

Once you verify the Upgrade path, you should first upgrade the FMC and then ASA Firepower sensor that it manages. Follow the steps in the Release notes below:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/620/relnotes/Firepower_System_Release_Notes_Version_620/updating_to_version_6_2_0.html#id_39128

You can automatically download the images on the FMC, but this only downloads the next release in the chain. You can manually upload the upgrade files onto FMC if you want to take a different (but supported) path.

View solution in original post

Boot image is when you want to reboot the module from scratch. Once booted with that image, you would use the system image to install the Firepower software. A good guide for that procedure is here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-firepower-services/118644-configure-firepower-00.html#anc8

You don't need to do this for an upgrade, just the upgrade file should do.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rahul Govindan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You would need the Sensor Upgrade file to upgrade the Sensor to the new version and Firepower Management center upgrade file for the Manager. Both should be ".sh" files like below:

Cisco_Network_Sensor_Upgrade-6.2.0-362.sh

Sourcefire_3D_Defense_Center_S3_Upgrade-6.2.0-362.sh

Once you verify the Upgrade path, you should first upgrade the FMC and then ASA Firepower sensor that it manages. Follow the steps in the Release notes below:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/620/relnotes/Firepower_System_Release_Notes_Version_620/updating_to_version_6_2_0.html#id_39128

You can automatically download the images on the FMC, but this only downloads the next release in the chain. You can manually upload the upgrade files onto FMC if you want to take a different (but supported) path.

Thank you very much for your anwer!

On the download-site there is also a boot-image, asasfr-5500x-boot-6.2.0-2.img, do I need to upgrade the boot-image as well?

Br,

Thor-Egil

Boot image is when you want to reboot the module from scratch. Once booted with that image, you would use the system image to install the Firepower software. A good guide for that procedure is here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-firepower-services/118644-configure-firepower-00.html#anc8

You don't need to do this for an upgrade, just the upgrade file should do.

Thanks again, this was to great help. Have a nice evening.

Br, Thor-Egil

Hello Rahul -

I am about to upgrade my FMC and ASA managed module. I need a guide to upgrade the ASA managed module. I am planning to upgrade managed ASA module from 5.4.0-764 to 5.4.0.11. Please guide me the steps. I will appreciate your positive response in this regards.

Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card