cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HQ and 4 Branches Firewall devices (VPN Connection) topology!

Imma
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have to create a topology for VPN connection of the branches with the HQ, to access the servers. My question is: Which FW series (ASA, FRP...) to employ at the HQ and which one to the branches. Branches are small offices up to 10 employees.

Specification are as below:

• Dual WAN ports with automatic fallback
  • IPSec VPN capability (up to 8 simultaneous connections for HQ)
  • VPN licenses (8 connections for HQ, 1 connection for other sites)
  • DHCP Server and Relay DHCP (DHCP relay over VPN)
  • DNS Service

Can anyone advice please?

Thank you,

Kind Regards,

Dena

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you really need to have DNS-services, there is only the IOS router in the cisco portfolio.

If you can live without, my preferences would be:

1. Cisco Meraki MX on HQ and the branches. These are most easily to setup and the VPN will work instantly.
  2. Cisco ASAs on all sites with manually configured route-based VPN. This will give you also a good firewall for the branches.
  3. IOS routers on all sites. Maximum flexibility but the firewall implementation is most complex compared to the other solutions.
  4. Personally I don't like Firepower Thread Defense as you always need two IPs reachable from your headquarter. One for the Data-Plane and one for management. That can get quite tricky to setup and is a more advanced topic.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

If you really need to have DNS-services, there is only the IOS router in the cisco portfolio.

If you can live without, my preferences would be:

1. Cisco Meraki MX on HQ and the branches. These are most easily to setup and the VPN will work instantly.
  2. Cisco ASAs on all sites with manually configured route-based VPN. This will give you also a good firewall for the branches.
  3. IOS routers on all sites. Maximum flexibility but the firewall implementation is most complex compared to the other solutions.
  4. Personally I don't like Firepower Thread Defense as you always need two IPs reachable from your headquarter. One for the Data-Plane and one for management. That can get quite tricky to setup and is a more advanced topic.

Thank you for your help Karsten,

I am not sure if I understood well. If I choose one of four solutions proposed by you, then I have to build a DNS server. Right?

Or should I use ISP /open DNS?

It just means that you can't point your clients to that device to resolve names. Most likely you have a DNS-server inside of your HQ and you can point your clients to that one. With that all clients can resolve your internal resources. Or you could install DNS-servers in each branch. But that could be overkill for 10 employees.

Thank you Karsten. Very helpful indeed.

Kind Regards,

Dena

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card