cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IDSM-2: hints for initial network setup?

rogelioalvez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello team:

I was asked to carry out a very basic configuration of a brand new IDSM-2 on a CAT6500. According to the documentation, once in the Supervisor´s CLI, I must execute a "session" command to the slot in which the IDSM is located.

Once there, I have to follow the wizard to add IP, mask and gateway. Having this configured, the module´s management interface should be visible from the rest of the network, but I do not see how this happens, since the module should use one of the switch´s VLANs, and I haven´t found how this is configured.

Question: ¿how will this IDSM link itself to the switch´s layer 3 engine? I do not see how its layer 2 will match any available VLAN in the host LAN switch...

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Rogelio Alvez

Argentina

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sle
Level 1
Level 1

I think what you need to add is a command on the 6500 that puts the IDSM-2 management port in a particular vlan.  For example:

intrusion-detection module 9 management-port access-vlan 101

This would place the management port for the iDSM-2 card in slot 9 in vlan 101.  The host-ip that you define on the IDSM-2 card itself would then need to be valid for this vlan.

Steve

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

sle
Level 1
Level 1

I think what you need to add is a command on the 6500 that puts the IDSM-2 management port in a particular vlan.  For example:

intrusion-detection module 9 management-port access-vlan 101

This would place the management port for the iDSM-2 card in slot 9 in vlan 101.  The host-ip that you define on the IDSM-2 card itself would then need to be valid for this vlan.

Steve

That´s what I was looking for. The linkage between the management port and the MSFC infrastructure! ¿ Why isn´t  this pointed out in the module´s configuration initial configuration guide?

Thank you very much, Rogelio

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card