Views
Helpful
Replies

idsm2 reboot unexpectedly

jackson.ku
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

We have one Catalyst 6509 with IDSM2, and the IDSM2 reboot unexpectedly. The error message is :

Nov 17 22:32:47: %OIR-SP-3-PWRCYCLE: Card in module 9, is being power-cycled off (Module not responding to Keep Alive polling)
Nov 17 22:32:48: %C6KPWR-SP-4-DISABLED: power to module in slot 9 set off (Module not responding to Keep Alive polling)
Nov 17 22:36:21: %DIAG-SP-6-RUN_MINIMUM: Module 9: Running Minimum Diagnostics...
Nov 17 22:36:22: %MLS_RATE-4-DISABLING: The Layer2 Rate Limiters have been disabled.
Nov 17 22:36:22: %DIAG-SP-6-DIAG_OK: Module 9: Passed Online Diagnostics
Nov 17 22:36:23: %OIR-SP-6-INSCARD: Card inserted in slot 9, interfaces are now online

Nov 20 18:47:26: %OIR-SP-3-PWRCYCLE: Card in module 9, is being power-cycled off (Module not responding to Keep Alive polling)
Nov 20 18:47:26: %C6KPWR-SP-4-DISABLED: power to module in slot 9 set off (Module not responding to Keep Alive polling)
Nov 20 18:51:00: %DIAG-SP-6-RUN_MINIMUM: Module 9: Running Minimum Diagnostics...
Nov 20 18:51:01: %MLS_RATE-4-DISABLING: The Layer2 Rate Limiters have been disabled.
Nov 20 18:51:01: %DIAG-SP-6-DIAG_OK: Module 9: Passed Online Diagnostics
Nov 20 18:51:01: %OIR-SP-6-INSCARD: Card inserted in slot 9, interfaces are now online

It occured several times before 11/17 and I have tried to reseat the module before, but the IDSM2 reboot again. The IOS version of supervisor engine is s72033-ps-mz.122-18.SXD5.bin, The IDSM2 software version is 6.0(5)E2. Please help to diagnosis this problem. Shall I upgrade IOS of supervisor engine or IDSM or need RMA?

Best Regards,

Jackson Ku

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would first check if the module is properly seated in the slot, chaning the slot can also sometimes help.

If the above fail, most probably seems to be a RMA candidate. The best option is to open a TAC Case, and they will generate the RMA for you automatically if that is the only solution

Please rate if helpful

Regards

Farrukh

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would first check if the module is properly seated in the slot, chaning the slot can also sometimes help.

If the above fail, most probably seems to be a RMA candidate. The best option is to open a TAC Case, and they will generate the RMA for you automatically if that is the only solution

Please rate if helpful

Regards

Farrukh

mikecrowe4ICS_2
Level 1
Level 1

Agreed, this likely needs to have a TAC case opened for an RMA -- especially if a re-seat of the module has already been attempted.  Any time you're seeing the switch cut off power to the module over multiple insertions, that's not a good thing.

I just had this happen to a FWSM last week, and re-seating the module didn't work for me, either.

You can read more about the error message here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00801b42bf.shtml

Workaround

A simple reseat of the module corrects this issue 90 percent of the time. If you reseat the module, it realigns the switch fabric and ensures a firm connection to the backplane.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: