Views
Helpful
Replies

idsm2 reboot unexpectedly

jackson.ku
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

We have one Catalyst 6509 with IDSM2, and the IDSM2 reboot unexpectedly. The error message is :

Nov 17 22:32:47: %OIR-SP-3-PWRCYCLE: Card in module 9, is being power-cycled off (Module not responding to Keep Alive polling)
Nov 17 22:32:48: %C6KPWR-SP-4-DISABLED: power to module in slot 9 set off (Module not responding to Keep Alive polling)
Nov 17 22:36:21: %DIAG-SP-6-RUN_MINIMUM: Module 9: Running Minimum Diagnostics...
Nov 17 22:36:22: %MLS_RATE-4-DISABLING: The Layer2 Rate Limiters have been disabled.
Nov 17 22:36:22: %DIAG-SP-6-DIAG_OK: Module 9: Passed Online Diagnostics
Nov 17 22:36:23: %OIR-SP-6-INSCARD: Card inserted in slot 9, interfaces are now online

Nov 20 18:47:26: %OIR-SP-3-PWRCYCLE: Card in module 9, is being power-cycled off (Module not responding to Keep Alive polling)
Nov 20 18:47:26: %C6KPWR-SP-4-DISABLED: power to module in slot 9 set off (Module not responding to Keep Alive polling)
Nov 20 18:51:00: %DIAG-SP-6-RUN_MINIMUM: Module 9: Running Minimum Diagnostics...
Nov 20 18:51:01: %MLS_RATE-4-DISABLING: The Layer2 Rate Limiters have been disabled.
Nov 20 18:51:01: %DIAG-SP-6-DIAG_OK: Module 9: Passed Online Diagnostics
Nov 20 18:51:01: %OIR-SP-6-INSCARD: Card inserted in slot 9, interfaces are now online

It occured several times before 11/17 and I have tried to reseat the module before, but the IDSM2 reboot again. The IOS version of supervisor engine is s72033-ps-mz.122-18.SXD5.bin, The IDSM2 software version is 6.0(5)E2. Please help to diagnosis this problem. Shall I upgrade IOS of supervisor engine or IDSM or need RMA?

Best Regards,

Jackson Ku

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would first check if the module is properly seated in the slot, chaning the slot can also sometimes help.

If the above fail, most probably seems to be a RMA candidate. The best option is to open a TAC Case, and they will generate the RMA for you automatically if that is the only solution

Please rate if helpful

Regards

Farrukh

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would first check if the module is properly seated in the slot, chaning the slot can also sometimes help.

If the above fail, most probably seems to be a RMA candidate. The best option is to open a TAC Case, and they will generate the RMA for you automatically if that is the only solution

Please rate if helpful

Regards

Farrukh

mikecrowe4ICS_2
Level 1
Level 1

Agreed, this likely needs to have a TAC case opened for an RMA -- especially if a re-seat of the module has already been attempted.  Any time you're seeing the switch cut off power to the module over multiple insertions, that's not a good thing.

I just had this happen to a FWSM last week, and re-seating the module didn't work for me, either.

You can read more about the error message here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00801b42bf.shtml

Workaround

A simple reseat of the module corrects this issue 90 percent of the time. If you reseat the module, it realigns the switch fabric and ensures a firm connection to the backplane.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card