Views
Helpful
Replies

Ikev2 Ipsec Between Asa and Sonicwall

SajeshB
Level 1
Level 1

Hi team,

Need help in understanding an issue faced when creating a tunnel between Asa and Sonicwall (Issue got resolved) still need help to understand.

SonicWall: Phase 1

Ikev2

Encryption aes

Authentication sha265

Dh 14

Lifetime 86400

Asa: phase 1

Ikev2 

Encryption aes

Integrity sha256

Dh 15

Prf sha

Lifetime 86400

As the issue was with the asa end. The prf was bydefault configured in ikev2 and i i cannot remove that but after changing prf sha to sha256 tunnel come up. Can anyone help me to understand why tunnel come up while changing the prf value i thought either i need to remove that from config or else changing the ikev2 mode to ikve1.

And one more additional thing sonicwall authentication is similar to cisco integrity attribute if im not wrong.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This is probably a question that should be posed to Sonicwall TAC. I imagine that on the Sonicwall the PRF value is automatically set to the same as the integrity value, in your instance SHA256. The fact that on the ASA you had to change the value from SHA to SHA256 in order to get the VPN to establish, indicates that the Sonicwall is using PRF with SHA256, otherwise it would not have worked.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Hi @SajeshB 

IKE configuration needs to match between peers, it sounds like the Sonicwall was configured with a default prf value of SHA256 and changing the ASA's default value from SHA to SHA256 obviously made the settings match and establish connectivity.

HTH

Spoiler

Yes, i also thought the same. But the other end engineer was also shocked as he was using regularly a sonicwall firewall and he was never heard about prf in phase 1 and when i told him if there is any advance setting in sonic wall where he can check this prf he said no only this much setting he was aware about phase 1. he told also if he will change from ikev2 to mainmode he will get prf option for phase 1 in sonic wall

This is probably a question that should be posed to Sonicwall TAC. I imagine that on the Sonicwall the PRF value is automatically set to the same as the integrity value, in your instance SHA256. The fact that on the ASA you had to change the value from SHA to SHA256 in order to get the VPN to establish, indicates that the Sonicwall is using PRF with SHA256, otherwise it would not have worked.

Thanx Rob, i thought i was wrong with my config seems to be an issue with the other end.

zaidmd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I was also facing the same error that I cannot remove but after changing PRF SHA to SHA256 tunnel come up. But after checking this thread and implementing it I resolved my issue. Actually, The Sonicwall PRF value is automatically set to the same as the integrity value in my SHA256.

Thank you

Right zaid i have tested this on my lab and then I experienced how sonicwall IPSEC works. But if we see from ASA side then prf and integrity have similar function for authenticate messages might be they need to be same. So the same config I have tested for ASA and palo alto and it works.

mulesmasters
Level 1
Level 1

the essential skills and knowledge needed to excel in this field. In this course, you will learn the core concepts of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, which are the building blocks of web development. From creating visually appealing layouts to adding interactivity and functionality to your websites

nice article

thanks for sharing with us

<a href="https://brollyacademy.com/">AWS Course in Hyderabad</a>

https://brollyacademy.com/aws-course-in-hyderabad/ 

rudrasadev
Level 1
Level 1

Great article and thank you for sharing.

Keep sharing like this.https://rudrasa.com/prompt-engineering-course-in-hyderabad/

rojarani0701
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the info

<a href="https://brollyai.com/machine-learning-classes-in-hyderabad/">machine learning classes in hyderabad </a>

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card