Views
Helpful
Replies

Integrating FMC with ISE

ciscoworlds
Level 4
Level 4

Hi;

I have a test lab and want to integrate FMC 6.2.2.81 with ISE 2.2 (patch 5). Also I have an Internal MS CA server and have imported the CA root certificate into ISE and FMC already. 

Now I want to generate CSR of FMC to get a FMC Server Certificate from my internal CA server. There is no option to do it on FMC web GUI and I searched the Internet to see how it is and found very strange posts explaining complex procedures, like obtaining an open source software (OpenSSL) and generating CSR with it..!!

I don't understand while we are able to create CSR for ISE just by using its GUI, why there is no such basic thing on a FMC? Isn't it weird?

I didn't managed to find any simple guide explaining how to use OpenSSL to generate CSR, and actually I'm not sure if I need to dig into OpenSSL documents, Linux, etc to find just bunch of commands to generate a simple CSR!! 

I will appreciate any help on this. because I don't know where to start and basically if it is needed or if there are other reasonable and simpler ways to do that. Again I don't know why Cisco has not implemented such basic thing on its "Next Generation" devices, as it did on ISE?! confused! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Those 2 commands I previously gave you to create a private key and csr are the only commands you need to run on the cli. The import of the Root certs aswell as the signed cert will be done on the WebGUI.

WebGUI location: Objects > PKI > Trusted CAs > Internal Certs

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Rahul Govindan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can generate a CSR via the web gui. Look at the top right corner of the picture below:

csr.PNG

I also use a GUI based tool called xca (opensource) that does a bunch of certificate operations in a simplified way. 

Hi. 

Do I need to create a HTTPS CSR, as you said, for pxgrid? 

I found a doc which said we need to establish SSH to the FMC and use openssl to generate private key and csr. If this was the case, what should be set as DN or Common Name for the csr? I don't think using the hostname of the FMC as DN was correct. I created a realm and the directory and was able to download the users and groups onto FMC. I'm a little bit confused on this and not sure if this means joining FMC to the domain. 

This Cisco doc has instructions on how to create a CSR using openssl or without using a CSR. The doc is for signing the certificate using the Internal ISE 2.2 CA, but if you use the openssl method you can just sign this using an external CA.

Thanks for your reply @Rob Ingram

Would you clarify me on the second part of the question? I've created realm and directory on FMC and downloaded users and groups from AD onto it. Is it the same as joining it to the domain? If not, what should be written as Common Name (DN) for the FMC while generating a csr? 

regards.

Sorry, I've not used AD realms before, I can only assume that it makes an ldap connection to AD to download the AD users and group information.

I've have configured FMC/ISE pxgrid integration though. You would need to create a CSR if you are using pxgrid to exchange user/ip and SGT bindings from ISE to FMC. pxgrid could be used if you wish to quarantine an endpoint, by sending a CoA from ISE.

I found this document in which it explained the procedure. Assuming that the pxGrid client is FMC in this document, I started to enter commands on FMC CLI but it needed root CA certificate name to generate CSR. I had uploaded root CA certificate before through FMC GUI: Object Management > PKI > Trusted CAs, but this command didn't accept its name with the following warming:

admin@firepower:~$ openssl pkcs12 -export -out firepower.p12 -inkey firepower.key -in pxGridClient.csr -chain -CAfile xinmix-root-ca-certificate.cer             
unable to load certificates

There is no such file on FMC:

admin@firepower:~$ dir
firepower.key  firepower.p12  pxGridClient.csr

any idea?

Use these commands to generate a private key + CSR:

openssl genrsa -out fmc.key 2048
openssl req -new -key fmc.key -out fmc.csr

- Copy those files (fmc.key and fmc.csr) off the FMC
- Sign the CSR request from Internal CA
- Download the Root Cert and Intermediate Root (if you have one)
- Upload the Root + Int Root to FMC
- Upload the signed certificate
- Complete the ISE configuration and test

dHi.

I found This document on Cisco communities and started to follow the procedures as mentioned, but I stuck where we should use "openssl" command on FMC to generate pkcs12 package. It needs root CA's certificate name which I was unable to find a way to copy it onto FMC. This is what I got:

admin@firepower:~$ openssl pkcs12 -export -out firepower.p12 -inkey firepower.key -in pxGridClient.csr -chain -CAfile xinmix-root-ca-certificate.cer 

unable to load certificates

So; how I can upload my root CA certificate onto FMC with CLI? I read on cisco site that CLI access is restricted. so is there any way?

From Cisco website:

"You cannot use the CLI on the Firepower Management Center. The Firepower Management Center supports Linux shell access, and only under Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) supervision."

Those 2 commands I previously gave you to create a private key and csr are the only commands you need to run on the cli. The import of the Root certs aswell as the signed cert will be done on the WebGUI.

@Rob Ingram wrote:

Hi;

Thank you. I managed to copy certificates onto FMC and run "openssl" and get a certificate from my internal CA server for FMC.

But now I stuck at the next step, where I created Realm on FMC and managed to download user and groups onto it. then on ISE 2.2 patch 5, I created a separate CSR and signed it with certificate template created specially for pxgrid integration and after getting that certificate on ISE and bound it to CSR with "pxgrid"usage (not as "admin"usage, because I have another certificate for admin usage and don't want to replace that one). Finally I got back to FMC and on System > Integration > Identity Sources page, i got this logs stating that connection to Primary Host has Failed:

Primary host: 
test: ISE connection.
Preparing ISE Connection objects...
Captured Jabberwerx log:2018-03-08T12:42:26 [    INFO]: pxgrid connection init done successfully
Preparing subscription objects...
Connecting to ISE server...
Beginning to connect to ISE server...
Captured Jabberwerx log:2018-03-08T12:42:26 [    INFO]: _reconnection_thread starts
Captured Jabberwerx log:2018-03-08T12:42:26 [    INFO]: connecting to host 10.1.204.168 .......
Captured Jabberwerx log:2018-03-08T12:42:26 [    INFO]: stream opened
Starting SSL Handshake, SSL state:before/connect initialization
Completed SSL Handshake, SSL state: SSL negotiation finished successfully
Captured Jabberwerx log:2018-03-08T12:42:26 [    INFO]: EXTERNAL authentication complete
Captured Jabberwerx log:2018-03-08T12:42:26 [    INFO]: authenticated successfully (sasl mechanism: EXTERNAL)
Captured Jabberwerx log:2018-03-08T12:42:26 [    INFO]: pxgrid_connection_connect: Connected. host=10.1.204.168
Captured Jabberwerx log:2018-03-08T12:42:27 [    INFO]: Controller version: 1.0.4.20
Captured Jabberwerx log:2018-03-08T12:42:27 [    INFO]: Account pending
...timed out trying to form connection to ISE server.
Unable to connect to ISE server at host: '10.1.204.168'.
disconnecting pxgrid
Connection to ISE server failed because of time out

I think it has something to do with certificates. what did I do wrong? 

Besides, ISE and FMC can ping each others IP address and FQDN. 

"Captured Jabberwerx log:2018-03-08T12:42:27 [ INFO]: Account pending"

From this error message above I would guess you need to approve the FMC account in ISE. Go to Administration > pxGrid Services > Clients locate the FMC and select "Approve". You could also go to Administration > pxGrid Services > Settings and automatically approve new accounts.

@Rob Ingram wrote:
"Captured Jabberwerx log:2018-03-08T12:42:27 [ INFO]: Account pending"

From this error message above I would guess you need to approve the FMC account in ISE. Go to Administration > pxGrid Services > Clients locate the FMC and select "Approve". You could also go to Administration > pxGrid Services > Settings and automatically approve new accounts.

You really rock. It worked. Thank you for your time :)

Under "Status" title it shows "Offline" for FMC. Is it normal or I should change them to be online manually? 

fmc0.jpg

From experience, the firesighttest-firepower..... account would be offline, this is an account created when you hit test when configuring ISE integration on ISE.

I believed the ise_internal_test should always remain "Online" as long as connectivity between FMC and ISE exists.

For testing, on the FMC confirm you can see user/host information sent from ISE. You could also go back to the ISE integration page on FMC and hit test again to confirm it can still communicate with ISE.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card